Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Freedom

So as I mentioned the other day, I got to go to the Women of Faith conference last weekend with my mom and Barbara. I really needed it! The time away, the encouragement, laughing at stories until I just about peed, crying, worshipping, learning... great time.

I was incredibly surprised that one of my favorite people at the conference was Mandisa, the finalist on American Idol a few seasons ago (before I began watching, actually) who now has a successful career in Christian music. I had told Barbara even that if we missed Mandisa, that would be okay. I'm generally not into the loud black-gospel sound that I thought she represented. Shame on me.

Miss Mandisa - wow. She began with some fun songs and then spoke candidly about experiencing freedom in Christ ~ a journey I've been exploring with Barbara and others in the area of food for years now. She also shared some personal stories, some which made us laugh and others made us cry, and her absolutely beautiful music. The lyrics - just wow.

So I bought the CD (mind you I couldn't even tell you the last CD I've purchased) ~ entitled Freedom, of course ~ and brought it home. This morning I spent 15 minutes trying to free it from the cellophane and plugged it into the stereo, and Grace and I got on our feet and began to dance. We praised God and moved our bodies to songs like "My Deliverer," "The Definition of Me," and "Freedom Song." We really pumped up the jam when the final fast song came on, "Dance, Dance, Dance."

And at my encouragment, Grace let loose. She's got, as she says, moves. At one point she sat on the floor and began to spin herself around. "Look, Mom! I can do crack dancing!"

Indeed.

"You mean break dancing, Grace?"

Yeah, yeah, that's it.

The last song on the album, by the way, is a beautiful song about grief - "You Wouldn't Cry." The story behind it is heartbreaking but the song is so beautiful and encouraging. It reminded me of Abigail, Barb's granddaughter, who just recently went to heaven, and Nate and Jamie's little one. It reminded me of Grandma, and it reminded me of Kyle. I hope you'll check it out and listen to it... and smile for them. I can't wait until we're all reunited in God's presence.

5 comments:

wshotshot said...

Wish I could have gone to Women of Faith! It is always so inspiring!! Glad you had a great time and were truly blessed!!

Memaw said...

I just loved that song and am sorry I didn't get it. It is beautiful and gives a completely different perseptive of losing someone. We should be focusing on what they are seeing and the tears should be for us who haven't experienced it yet.

Anonymous said...

went out and listed to that song. thank you for sharing. at just the right time too as i was able to share with someone here that just suffered loss of a friend.
women of faith. extends far beyond their group.
you are a woman of faith that leads by example. bless you, beth.

geo

Grandpa-D. said...

Red and Yellow, Black and White
They're all precious in His sight.

Barb said...

I too enjoyed the weekend! Can't wait for next year! Same place and time?