Friday, February 11, 2011

I think he's gonna live.

Just a moment ago, I paused, looking at my desk, trying to decide what to tackle next.  I got a lot done today.  Well, not a lot by normal standards, but a lot compared to recent activity.  Anyway, Wookiee caught my eye; he walked over to his basket sitting on the treadmill, jumped on, and fetched his football.

Good sign.

Let me back up.  When we arrived home from California, Ro had left an array of goodies for us as welcome home gifts:  a stuffed bunny for Grace; Legos for Joshua; earrings for Chris; Coke for Mom; flowers and candy for me. 

Yesterday I decided to enjoy said candy.  It was a Ghirardelli chocolate bar, king-sized, dark, 73% cacao.  I broke off a piece of it and tasted it - actually didn't care for it much.  Let Grace have a sample - same thing.

But one did enjoy it - every last bite. 

I came in a few hours later to find the remainder of the bar - about 3 ounces - gone, the wrapper licked clean, the foil in scraps all over the floor.  Wookiee.  He seemed fine; he was playful, so I didn't worry too much. Ro thought he'd probably get some diarrhea or something. Anyway, no reason to panic, right?

As we turned into bed, Wookiee puked on the comforter.  Fine, no big deal; he just ate a lot of chocolate, even by my standards.  I was up later reading and he puked again - bigger and uglier.  When I went back to bed, he continued to vomit occasionally, choking as he did so. 

Scared me.

See, everyone knows that I love that mutt.  However, when Pop was in his last two weeks, Wookiee never left my side except to go out and pee or eat.  He was constantly either at my feet in Pop's room, or in my lap, or laying beside Pop's bed.  He didn't bring me toys to play with; he just simply sat there.

Who would've known what a comfort a silly mutt could bring?  But he did.  His constance, his quietness, his sense of what was happening ~ it bonded to me closer than ever.

So the thought last night that he might truly have some of the effects of chocolate toxins I've heard about scared the crap out of me.

Ro was sound asleep but I was afraid.  Got out of bed at 2:30 in the morning and Googled "What if my dog ate a chocolate bar?"  The results were not encouraging.  Dogs Wookiee's size could expect adverse and even fatal reactions with less than half an ounce - Wookiee had consumed 3 ounces!  I was beginning to panic, and I finally found a live emergency vet who answers questions online. 

It was $38 - but it gave me peace of mind.  He told me what to watch for, and that Wookiee would probably be fine.  I felt better and was able to sleep, although I kept waking up every time the dog moved.  Sheesh. 

Anyway, Wookiee has been listless and very, very tired today.  He hasn't wanted to play or do much of anything, but seeing him go over and pick out a toy a bit ago is encouraging.  Ro said he was excited when he got home, so it looks like he's gonna live.

Good thing, because if he'd died from this... I would really be a basket case.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay for woo woo woookie! and beth too. poor pups. :)

g

Grandpa-D. said...

Wouldn't seem like a bad way to go. I mean what better way than diving into a chocolate bar. I'm sure glad the cutie survived though, if nothing more than for another bite of chocolate!

Unknown said...

So, Wookie takes after Carol. She just doesn't have Wookies adverse effects. :-)