Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Unplugged

I missed the royal wedding.

I missed hearing the breaking news of OBL's demise (although thanks to Facebook, it didn't take me long to be caught up).

I miss watching live baseball.

What I don't miss, however, is paying $100 a month to watch mostly garbage on the tele. 

And it hasn't been too bad... the kids have yet to complain.  We do, of course, have a ton of videos and have become recent subscribers to NetFlix (at less than $10 a month), but no one has complained.

Ro has been asking me, patiently, for years, to cut the TV service.  Just like he asked me, patiently, for years, to move away from Cali.  No surprises in that I'm a bit slow to obey. 

And just like he promised, we are better off without it.

Even if I can barely take my eyes off the TV when we go to restaurants these days.

4 comments:

Talena said...

I haven't had cable since I was in Jr. High when my parents got rid of it (they have since gotten it again). I don't miss it at all! With netflix and hulu there really is no need for cable. Glad you are enjoying it.

geo said...

right behind you....really close. the thing is is that the tv we do watch is on the premium channels and we pay extra for them. sucks. netflix? i don't even know how to run the dvd player anymore......
really close....thinking about it...

Anonymous said...

I turned off my TV 16 years ago and don't miss it at all. When I do get around TV I am amazed at what they allow. Much more other things to do beside being glued the set.

Grandpa-D. said...

Life without Fox News?