I saw, not too long ago, a friend's post on Facebook, that said something to the effect of this: We aren't doing Thanksgiving this year... just don't have the money.
While I'm sure this person meant that their budget wasn't going to allow a big Thanksgiving feast, my first thought was how sad that was... that they weren't going to do Thanksgiving at all. Thanksgiving has nothing to do with turkeys or feasts, really, does it? It's an attitude - an attitude of the heart - and one that shouldn't be limited to just one day a year, anyway. Or even a month.
Indeed, Paul calls us to be thankful in all circumstances. Not only that, but it's God's will for us to be thankful in all circumstances. Every day, every hour, for every blessing, for every test.
When Grace is driving me nuts because she talks non-stop, I need to remember how thankful I am for her intelligence, humor, and health, especially given I was advised to terminate my pregnancy with her because it was likely she'd have Downs.
When Robert has to travel for his job and be away from us for awhile, I need to remember that this new job is allowing us to pay for a number of new financial obligations we have now - including dental work, Joshua's braces, and more.
When the scale doesn't move (or doesn't move in the right direction), I need to be thankful that I live in a place where the availability of food - and all kinds of it - is not an issue for us.
When I have to drive to a nearby town to worship with the body that God has called us to, I need to remember that many other believers around the world have to worship in secret, often walking many miles and with great fear because of the persecution that is still very real in our world today.
When the house is in constant disarray and I feel overwhelmed in keeping it up, I need to remember how God gave me this exact house and how He has showered blessings down upon us... many, many more blessings than challenges.
I could go on and on. So could, I suspect, you. So let me hear it... how are you thankful in the midst of a challenge in your life?
Sunday, November 06, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



9 comments:
I'm thankful for you. :)
I'm thankful for my daughters and their children.
Thanks for the perspective! Always need a fresh take and attitude and reminder!
I was getting ready to respond yesterday when Deb called with the news that our friend passed away. Kind of puts things more in perspective. I thank God for every blessing he allows me to have and the wonderful way he has enriched my life by the time I get to spend with my family and friends. I am thankful that I don't take things for granted and embrace everything with the confidence that God is in charge of my life no matter what I have to deal with.
I am so thankful for so many things and I like having Thanksgiving every year to remind me to think about all the things I take for granted and forget to say thanks for: my salvation, my husband, children, grandchildren, friends, home, church, job etc. God has given me an over abundance and I am so very blessed!!,
i am thankful my umbella is full
i am thankful for those who came before me and those who came alongside me to help me to know my lord and savior , jesus...better.
and i am thankful for your insight, beth. very well stated.
love ya.
to God be all the glory!
to God be all the glory!
Post a Comment