In a nutshell, the Bible Bee is a 10-week family Bible study culminating (if students choose) in a national competition that delivers a $100,000 (yes, that is correct) first prize in Christianne's age group and a $50,000 first prize in Joshua's. I'm not sure that we will compete; our objective is more about the Bible study as a family, but I am hoping we will be able to attend at least a local competition to get our feet wet. The 2012 study is on the book of 2 Timothy.
The kids each (except Grace this year) work individually on a daily study that requires about 20 minutes a day, and then we will have weekly family "bonfires" to reinforce, have fun, etc. Last night we did our Kick-off Bonfire and the kids began their lessons a couple of days ago.
So far I'm loving this. The kids have said the studies are "good" - which is better than "boring" or "lame," right? We are all memorizing Scripture together as well - we will be doing about 25 passages over the course of the summer.
The Bible Bee is a fairly new endeavor - I think this is its fourth year. I'm impressed with the quality of materials and such... and a little disappointed there aren't any "host churches" out here in the NorCo area. If this gig turns out to be half as wonderful an experience as it promises to be, I may get on the bandwagon and get our church involved next year. Right now our host church is about an hour away in Cheyenne.
Want to learn along with us? We are 4 passages in:
- 2 Timothy 3:16-17
- 1 Corinthians 9:24-27
- Titus 1:1-3
- Philippians 3:7-8



1 comment:
Very interesting. Wish there were a program like this for adult Bible study groups.
Post a Comment