Robert and I are studying through a...a... something... called Porterbrook. Describing Porterbrook to you would take too long and tarry me from getting to what's on my heart, so I'll save that (maybe) for another day. But recently in Porterbrook we came across a theme that struck me and that I have attempted to take to heart: celebration.
As Christians, we truly have a lot to celebrate. Celebrate! I'm not even talking about smiling about something or thanking the Lord for it, although that is part of it. I am talking about true celebration! With laughter. Singing. Dancing. With others, or alone. Having a PAR-TAY. I could talk here about great theological truths from salvation to sanctification to predestination to all kinds of other -tions and that would be plenty to celebrate. But there's more.
God is at work here. He is transforming lives - my own included. He is doing many, many, many marvelous things. And we should celebrate.
I was recalling to someone (or several someones) recently that we often gather as a group of believers and share our lives together... just as often this includes a time of sharing our struggles and prayer requests. That's awesome! However, what I think frequently happens is that all our struggles and challenges and needs overshadow the AMAZING things God has done. Where is the time of testimony and praise? Sure, sometimes someone will contribute a "praise report" - but look how uncelebratory even that phrase sounds! God is doing wonderful things all around us, every day. And it's time to celebrate!
Two years ago I studied through Isaiah with BSF. A popular theme - a key word - was REMEMBER. How often were the Israelites (and we today) called to remember what the Lord has done?
Before we can remember it, I think we need to do a few things first:
We need to acknowledge it. We need to recognize God at work.
We need to tell others about it - testify.
We need to praise God and celebrate!
And later... we need to remember!
How many miracles have I seen in my life that I forget about? I struggle, as many of you do, with depression... spiritual depression at times and emotional depression as well. What a positive "treatment" for my depression to remember how God has worked time and time again in my life!
Yeah, I've got problems. A lot of them. And so do you, I know. We are in a broken and hurting world, I know. But do you know what I saw this past week?
- I saw God answer a prayer request before we even had a chance to pray for it... a HUGE prayer request.
- I saw someone close to me have a heart-change after engaging with the Word of God for a period of time.
- I saw God answer a prayer for my daughter quickly and miraculously.
- I saw God create beauty around me.
- I saw God give - and take away. His purposes are higher than mine, however, and it's all for His glory.
Sometimes, He just about knocks my socks off. We serve a pretty awesome God.
And now I'm gonna go celebrate.



3 comments:
Great reminder, sweetie. Love love love.
reminds me of David, dancing in the streets more than once. everytime God created an "event" He called His people to celebrate and to remember. Celebrate!
much to celebrate right now :)
Post a Comment