Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Into 2018

So, silly me.

You'd think after 48 years of life on this earth, 25 years of marriage, and 21 and a half years of parenting my biological children, I would know by now that "as soon as this stage is over things will settle down" is just a myth.  I think it's something I tell myself for encouragement.  But there's always something else waiting just around the bend.

The adoption finalized and the party rush over, we quickly moved into Thanksgiving and the Christmas season - specifically a rush of holiday preparations so I could get out of town briefly for my annual (although I missed it last year) quickie trip to California and the road trip back here with Mom and Deb for the holidays.  My goal each year is to get all my shopping and wrapping done before I go so that I can rest and really be "in the moment" and enjoy time with family, but I didn't meet that goal this year.  It all came out fine, of course, but I was one of those people shopping right up to Christmas Eve and we were busy with shopping, family, activities, and ... I did start working again.

And just like that the holidays were over, Mom and Deb were on their way home, and I have spent nearly the last week just trying to recover myself with catching up on the mounds of laundry that haven't been caught up in weeks, the chores I've neglected, dental visits, and really a little bit of self-care of many naps and a little reading.

Today, we're back to reality.  While I'm enjoying not having to deal with all of the county-mandated visits and such, I have been on the phone scheduling appointments for Peter - a regular physical, an evaluation at Children's Hospital in Aurora that he's been on a 2-year (!) wait list for, and an OT evaluation.  I appreciate prayer for wisdom here as we seek to learn more about our kiddo and seek the therapies that are profitable and a wise use of time and begin to weed out those that simply aren't.

My calendar is full with appointments for him, dental appointments for me, and learning to juggle it all again with a job, while keeping up with the rest of the family, and church and home obligations.  Unfortunately, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and most often my husband is sadly neglected.  Something to work on in 2018.  So... another busy season lies ahead of me.  Surprise, surprise.

Joshua finished his first semester of college with all As and just started a job today in the university bookstore.  Christianne also did well this past semester and is nearing the completion of her AA degree this year and looking forward greatly to doing missionary work in Germany over the summer.  Grace is growing up - in those difficult middle-school years where the tension lies between wanting to be treated like a child as well as an adult. As always, her schooling is constant - she does well at all she does.  And Peter... I am SO incredibly thankful that all the time of pouring into him with reading and math is beginning to pay off.  He had been stuck at the same level of reading (about 2 years behind) all of last school year and into the beginning of this year - but since August, he has improved a full grade level!  WHEW!  And his math - he is nearly at-level and doing just fine in a main-stream group.  I am really proud of the work I've - I mean HE - has been doing. ;)

Counting your blessings is a great way to start the new year.  :)  Best wishes for a wonderful 2018.

1 comment:

geo said...

life never flatlines -- well it does eventually, but you got a ways to go. hang in there.