Saturday, September 19, 2009

Learning from our Children

Thursday night, Grace crawled into bed with us around 12:30 a.m. I listened to her toss and turn, trying to breathe with her stuffy little nose. That's extra difficult for her because she still sucks on her fingers as she sleeps. After about an hour I sent Robert upstairs for some Dimetapp. He gave her the medicine, and I told her to turn over and go to sleep.

She said, "Okay. After I pray." And she began to pray such a charming prayer, worshipping God ("God, You are bigger than the boogeyman and mighty to save"), thanking ("Thank you God for my family and the moon and the sun"), and petitioning ("God take my cold away!"). And she closed her prayer and closed her eyes and fell fast asleep.

The next morning I got up and was reading in my Bible this passage:

And they were bringing children to Him
that He might touch them,
and the disciples rebuked them.
But when Jesus saw it,
He was indignant and said to them,
"Let the children come to me;
do not hinder them,
for sto such belongs the kingdom of God.
Truly, I say to you,
whoever does not receive the kingdom of God
like a child shall not enter it."
And He took them in His arms and blessed them,
laying His hands on them.
Mark 10:13-16

I instantly recalled Grace's prayer the night before and the many other things she does that demonstrates faith at such a young age - the constant singing of "This Little Light of Mine," "He is Mighty to Save" and "He Lifts Me Up;" the amazing, focused prayers at bedtime and dinnertime; the assertion over and over that God is bigger than us all... and I was reminded that we have to work for that ourselves, we grown-ups - we have to work for faith like a child. To be ever focused on Him, to immediately draw near to Him in prayer no matter the circumstance, to have His praises always on our hearts, to know without a doubt that He really is bigger than the boogeyman.

The lesson was simply reinforced in such a tender, loving way that evening, when I told Robert about all of this. He smiled and told me that he, too, had gotten up early to read his Bible, and read the same lesson from Scripture but in Matthew.

God is good.

All the time.

4 comments:

Memaw said...

One of my biggest prayers when I first came to God was to have the faith of a child. Grace amazes me so many time when we talk. It is just matter of fact that God is bigger and it is so rare to find that kind of faith in adults. I love how God uses the children to teach us in so many ways if we would just allow them to.

wshotshot said...

Awesome Beth! Thanks for sharing!

Barb said...

That was wonderful! I love stories like that.

Grandpa-D. said...

For those that weren't there during our visit, Grace and I were playing school. She was the teacher and I was the student. We collected rocks to decorate. On one flat rock, I drew a simple arrow with a stick of chalk, and asked my teacher what she saw. Grace replied, "If you ever get lost, God will show you the way. All you have to do is follow the arrow to God" as she made the arrow on the rock point to Heaven. What a teaching from a 3-year old.