Wednesday, February 03, 2010

An Observation

I have seen many types of parents in WalMart.

(WalMart is my easiest accessible lab for the observation of people, and my, the people I've observed.)

I have seen parents with too many children to count wheeling baskets full of food around the store with great patience.

I have seen parents yank their children. Scream at their children. Curse at their children.

Smack them.

Indulge them. Patronize them. Spoil them.

And more.

And you have, too.

And mind you, I am not writing this in judgment, because my children will testify first and foremost (and loudest) that I am so not the best parent in the world. I know what it's like to be at your wit's end and frustrated and simply react. I know what it's like to give in. I think there are lines I would not - have not - crossed, but I don't say that out of pride, really!

I share all this because of the parent I saw today in WalMart.

Today I walked down an aisle and noticed a father and son. The boy was young, maybe a couple of years younger than Josh. His father sat there, in the aisle (not in the middle so as to block traffic obliviously as other parents do, mind you) - he sat there, in the aisle by the butter, down on one knee, with his hand on his son's shoulder, quietly talking to his son.

His was the face I could see as I approached. There was no anger in his face, just a quietness as they stood eye to eye.

I went on by and grabbed my milk and turned to look back, because I'm nosy like that. I noticed a mother and an older sister standing a little ways off, to give the boys their privacy. I saw the boy's face this time, and it began to twist and cloud up as he began to cry. And then I saw the father, on both knees now, grab his son and simply hold him.

It just about brought me to tears. I don't know what the circumstances were, but here's what I saw: a father taking the time to talk to his son, presumably in discipline but it could have been for something else, down on bended knee in a market, unconcerned with anything at that moment but his son. I saw a father who was more concerned about his son than about what was on the agenda. I saw a father who was gentle, and loving, and I hope that boy never grows up and doubts his father's love for him.

I don't know why I was allowed to glimpse this moment in this stranger's life. It gave me pause, though, and I am reminded of so many things ~ the importance of parenting our children, of loving them, of teaching them surpasses all other responsibilities for most of us. And what a blessing we could be to others ~ even when we think no one's watching ~ when we take the time to keep our priorities straight. I know what a blessing it was for me.

4 comments:

geo said...

today our devo/staff meeting lesson was about compassion. specifically the numerous times Christ looked upon the people "with compassion".

sounds like you got a lesson, too.

a blessing.

they abound. thank you for sharing.

Grandpa-D. said...

I'm glad you can conclude what you did with that glimpse of real life. I can only hope that your assessment is reality.

Lil Sis... said...

What's with the pink??? It's REALLY hard to read and focus. Color change please. Isn't Feb Black history month or something? What about using black writing???

Grandpa-D. said...

Sometimes your Dad just puts a "pop" in the balloon. I'm with you Beth, Thanks for sharing and what a great story. Grammie