... the first time you felt old?
Or maybe not old, per se, but on "the other side," so to speak?
I was thinking about this after my dad's recent post on the Tooth Fairy, which could have been subtitled The Loss of Innocence... ;) And I was thinking about it when I went to Burger King yesterday and the young cashier remembered me, knew my name, and was very patient with me when I couldn't seem to give him the proper amount of money for our order.
Was it the day I met Joshua's third grade teacher, nearly two years ago, and understood that Mr. Garcia certainly could not have been shaving for very long?
Was it the day in K-mart with Grace that someone asked me how old my granddaughter was?
Could it have been just recently, when I turned the big Four-Oh, or a decade ago, when I left my twenties behind?
Maybe it was when I was a youth leader - thinking I was young enough and hip enough to relate to these kids, although one wise-aleck (Matt) had no problem reminding me that it was possible for me to be his mother.
Perhaps it was several years ago when I noticed my knees creak when I go up or down stairs.
Or when I failed to recognize the songs my eldest was listening to on her MP3 player.
Maybe it goes back to the time when I couldn't throw the softball when Deb recruited me for her slow-pitch team.
Or when I spotted my first gray hair, to tell Robert about it and have him say, "Oh, that's not your first one!"
Was it just recently when I discovered old friends on Facebook who had grandchildren, while I still have a toddler at home?
Or discovering that 80's music is fair game for "classic rock"?
Do you remember when you first felt like part of the older population rather than the younger?
Monday, March 08, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
Wait for that day when you first get a Senior discount!
I'll have to tell Matt that he's featured in your blog today.
I don't remember the very first time but I know I am feeling old lately. I can;t even get through a day of housecleaning or shopping without my lower back and knees killing me!
What was the question?
sure sign of old age...and i don't care if anyone says its "organization"...they don't know. it is old age when you "have to" use a calendar
I actually do remember the first time I felt "old". It was about 1988/89. I was playing a game with a young neighbor who was about 13. One of the questions was which musician I would like to meet and I said, "Paul McCartney." and she said, "Who's Paul McCartney?"
Uh, thanks for that, Geo!
Post a Comment