We are the Spartans, the mighty mighty Spartans...
In sixth grade my homeroom teacher was Mr. Koska. He died quite a few years ago, actually, but the funny thing about Mr. Koska is that his daughter knew my someday husband in school. Pretty well. If you know what I mean. ;)
In sixth grade, I remember encountering my first marijuana - someone had left in my pocket in a jacket she had borrowed. I remember sucking at kick ball and going to Mr. T's room to watch movies and seeing boys and girls kissing under the tables in the back. Sixth grade! My daughter's finishing eighth right now so that memory gives me the shivers!
In seventh and eighth grades I learned how to type - and how I loved that, as well as my typing teacher, Mrs. Wright. I typed so much and so fast that I ended up typing up the school newspaper and Mrs. Wright's lessons and whatever else we could find to type. Those were the days, children, when we used ancient, non-electric typewriters.
I also learned about concrete poems and AIDS and that teachers who used to be married to each other were now hooked up with other teachers. That Halloween in eighth grade was marked by news of people tampering with Halloween candy, and I believe that was the same year people began tampering with Tylenol as well. I was a Sage Spartan Super Kid at least once. Mr. Millen, our principal, had a kazillion (I know; I counted) frog figurines in his office. I had to dress out for PE for the first time in seventh grade, with Mrs. Kristovich keeping us all in line. I rode the bus to school eventually, but before that our neighbor used to drive me there in her motorhome.
I tried out for basketball and only made alternate, but I could do a lay-up!
First dances, lockers, learning to sew, learning to use woodcutting tools, getting my ears pierced, learning (first by misunderstanding) what being "on the rag" meant ~ my limited memories of junior high.
What do you remember?
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
the bigger question would be....in order to seriously contemplate the question at hand.."how much of the 60's can you remember?" and i am sure there are those amongst us that can not for a variety of reasons, age, being one of them, can't remember Jack Sh*T. and we all knew him!!
you speak of sage in the 80*s. mr wolke was the math teacher there in the late 60's. and we had two old ladies that everyone suspected were gay, even in their old age, that were actually long time military friends who's husbands had passed away, leaving the two of them to fend for themselves. and they were not librarians. not any good in PE either, but...whatever.
whatever? how about groovy? and pyschodelics....probably the reason for today's psychos. and little rock dam. ick. and mike morris in his cowboy had welcoming me on the first day of school with a southern texas drawl. now that was any oxy-moron before his time. but he was nice.
okay enough.....i gotta do some blog hoppin today
Post a Comment