Friday, May 14, 2010

So Tell Me...

Here is a typical scenario of an average day. This past weekend we decided to go as a family to The Melting Pot. If you're not familiar with it, it's a fondue restaurant that is upscale and takes quite awhile to enjoy. We had explained our expectations to the kids prior to going, and sure enough, while we were there, we had a wonderful time. Other than the fact that Grace got tired and antsy (we were there 2 1/2 hours, and right at naptime), no one argued, glared, rolled eyes, sighed heavily, or complained. It was wonderful.

And then we got in the car to go home.

And the snipping began. Number one snipping at number three. Number two making some sort of offensive noise to number one. Number one snipping at number two. Number three snipping at number one...

You get the picture.

This is typical for us. My three precious kids - who I actually like! - wear me out with their constant bickering and agitating and blah blah blah.

And even the 3yo is part of it! Actually, she's a big part of it!

Be glad you don't have to ride to church with us each week.

"Will you guys knock it off? We're on our way to church, for Pete's sake! Straighten up and act like you love each other."

And then I become the referee, the nagger, and eventually the one who gets really sick of it all and blows up.

And in just a matter of days, summer begins. Three months of my kids swinging from good friends to bitter enemies as quickly as our Colorado springtime goes from sunshine to snow.

So tell me, oh wise ones... what's a mother to do?

I want to be battle-ready because I don't want to spend the whole summer dealing with conflict. I want to come out strong, with a plan, so hopefully we can nip all this fighting in the bud.

Should I make them write standards? Take laps? Do extra chores?

Should I ignore it and let them work it out themselves? (Yikes!)

Should I just keep us so busy there's no time to argue? (Ugh.) Should I ship them off to military camp somewhere?

So tell me. I'm a'listenin'.

10 comments:

wshotshot said...

You could reward them with something special... a fun day out or an item they have been wanting. Maybe do some kind of point system. Good behavior earns points and bad behavior get points taken away. You can decide how many points they need to get the reward and how often you want to offer the reward...once a week, twice a week etc. You can reward them separately or as a group. I found keeping my kids busy helped keep them out of trouble....you know the saying "idle hands is the devil's workshop"?! Anywho, good luck and happy summer...I can't believe it is almost summer!

Anonymous said...

Pay them.

Christi said...

Excellent ideas.

Grandpa-D. said...

Pay me! I'll take them.

geo said...

christi is old enough to baby sit. start something new, go at it for about a buck an hour. mom's will love it cause they can go shopping for a short while w/o the littleones!

josh ~ yardwork. same thing.

yes your work is worth something, but it is guaranteed they will pay you more, because you do good work (an now a days, a buck an hour is unheard of.)

and gracie ~ start writing your book.

and then of course there is vacation bible school. they need volunteers AND students.

Uncle Mark said...

Send one to Carol, one to Dave and keep one. Alternate this all through the summer = no bickering.

Christi said...

I'm liking the whole get paid idea. =)

Lil Sis... said...

If you choose Uncle Mark's selection, you could send the last one to me and you'd be kid free for at least 3 weeks on a one kid per week rotation. : )

Barb said...

Personally, I'd take everyone up on their offer to take them.

I also like the ideas. What about having them volunteer? Maybe you can do a combo of all.

Beth said...

Believe me, if it weren't for the cost of airfare, I would definitely rotate them out!

I wonder who posted anonymously... ;)