The other day I was looking at the paper that Grace brought home from Sunday school. On the back was a verse from Psalm 19, "The law of the Lord is perfect."
This is one of those verses that I can't read without singing, and I was reminded of how worthwhile it is to teach Scripture through music.
Once upon a time I was in a youth group at little Grace Baptist Church in Palmdale. Actually, "group" might be too large a term, because there really weren't many of us there. In fact, at times, it would just be me, and sometimes me and Deb. We had a leader, Steve something I believe, and sometimes when it was just a couple of us, he would put us in his car and drive us across town to the local frozen yogurt shop. You know, back in the 80s, when those were just becoming popular?
I must've been around 11, maybe 12, because when I was older I remember doing youth with First Southern. Other than the frozen yogurt treks, I have only one memory of that time and our leader. I remember him gathering us around in a circle, and he shared with us that he'd written a melody to go with Psalm 19. We sang it together a couple of times, and although I don't remember ever singing that song again with them, I still know ~ nearly 30 years later ~ the melody, and more importantly, the words themselves.
And actually every time I come across Psalm 19, I "sing" the words in my mind, and usually end up singing them throughout the day or days to come. When this happened this past week, I was struck by what an impact that had made on me. I wonder if Steve remembers that song. I wonder if he remembers us, our yogurt trips, teaching us. I wonder if he has any idea that that one afternoon spent teaching us that song has actually had a lifelong influence over me.
I wonder if his name was even Steve!
Consider the implications of this... it's interesting, for sure.
~*~*~*~*~
The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea than much fine gold,
Sweeter also than the honey of the honeycomb.
The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart.
The commandments of the Lord are pure, enlightening the eyes.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea than much fine gold,
Sweeter also than the honey of the honeycomb.
The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever.
The judgements of the Lord are true, and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea than much fine gold,
Sweeter also than the honey of the honeycomb.
Moreover by them is thy servant warned,
And in keeping of them there is great reward,
And in keeping of them there is great reward.
Wednesday, October 06, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I remember him!!! And moreoverly I remember the song and the scripture!!!!
His name was Steve and he played his 12 string guitar...it was the first time I'd ever seen a 12 string and I remember thinking how cool!!!
And he wore brown specaled glasses
That's so cool. I wonder what his last name is - it would be funny if he were on FB.
Post a Comment