Friday, November 26, 2010

It's now upon us...

... the Christmas season.  I completely missed the Thanksgiving season, at least on the blog.  I am often reminded, though, of the importance of remembering what God's done in my life, not just on the last Thursday of November, but each day of the year.  I'm challenged to be thankful in all circumstances, not just the easy, fun ones.  I'm challenged to find reasons to be thankful for things most of us do not want. 

Yeah, yeah, Thanksgiving's over now, I know.  Sorry about that.  I just felt like I missed something by not mentioning it.

Now on to topics of Christmas.

First, this blog has a brief but thought-provoking article regarding the book Advent Conspiracy.  Whether or not you read the blog article or the book, these four pieces of advice for the Christmas season are noteworthy:

"In their words, 'substitute consumption with compassion by practicing four simple but powerful, countercultural concepts: Worship Fully—because Christmas begins and ends with Jesus! Spend Less—and free your resources for things that truly matter. Give More—of your presence: your hands, your words, your time, your heart. Love All—the poor, the forgotten, the marginalized, and the sick in ways that make a difference.'"

(Thanks, Ro.)

Second, you may have heard by now about the recent flash mobs taking place across North America where people are breaking into song in malls - the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's Messiah.  I have been sent two videos recently that are both powerful.  Be sure to mute the Playlist at the bottom of your screen and then check them out:





(Thanks, Geo, for the Macy's one.)

PS - I worked for too long trying to get them to fit right.  If it bugs you, right-click on them and watch them in YouTube. Sorry for the inconvenience.

(I believe this post has now been edited 37.25 times.)

Third and finally, re-activate the sound on your playlist now and enjoy beautiful songs celebrating the advent of Jesus.

Enjoy.

Eyes on Him,
Beth

1 comment:

Grandpa-D. said...

Beautiful! We, don't have a mall where we live so it was extra special to see what can happen.