We talked about habits, including spiritual disciplines, in the youth Bible study last Sunday night, but it really got me to thinking. Am I such an undisciplined person that I can't even create a good habit or discipline after 80+ days? What is wrong with me???
On another yet related note, here are some points I jotted down from Sunday's sermon from the end of James:
- If we aren't seeking the Lord when times are good, we won't be ready to seek Him in times of crisis.*
- Eventually we begin living for ourselves and we become content with that; we become spiritually complacent.
- The prayer of a righeous man is powerful and effective... I've always read that verse and thought to myself, "Too bad I'm such a shmuck..." and yet... how do I become righteous? By praying when times are good, by being spiritually disciplined and seeking the Lord daily.
*One of the songs we sang Sunday is "Blessed Be Your Name" by Matt and Beth Redman. The words are especially meaningful to me because they ministered to me greatly during the period of anxiety when we were told Gracie could have Down's Syndrome. They helped me through that tough period of time, and really echoed the points above. Interesting coincidence that it was chosen for part of our worship time today...
Blessed be Your Name
Matt and Beth Redman
Blessed be Your name in the land that is plentiful;
Where the streams of abundance flow, blessed be Your name.
Blessed be Your name when I’m found in the desert place;
When I walk through the wilderness, blessed be Your name.
Every blessing You pour out I’ll turn back to praise;
When the darkness closes in, Lord, still I will say,
Blessed be the name of the Lord, blessed be Your name!
Blessed be the name of the Lord, blessed be Your glorious name!
Blessed be Your name, when the sun’s shining down on me;
When the world’s all as it should be, blessed be Your name.
Blessed be Your name, on the road marked with suffering;
When there’s pain in the offering, blessed be Your name.
Every blessing You pour out I’ll turn back to praise;
When the darkness closes in, Lord, still I will say,
Blessed be the name of the Lord, blessed be Your name!
Blessed be the name of the Lord, bless be Your glorious name!
You give and take away; You give and take away:
My heart will choose to say, Lord, blessed be Your name.



No comments:
Post a Comment