Wednesday, August 19, 2009

BKOCs

So school began this week and I think I'm the most excited. ;) It's been a fairly quiet couple of days around here. Although I miss having the kids around and the freedom to do fun things whenever we want, I definitely don't miss the fighting and the messes!

Both kids are the Big Kids on Campus - Chris is in her last year of middle school (yikes!) and Josh is in his last year of elementary. Doesn't seem like long ago that I walked Chris into her kindergarten classroom and helped her make a new friend. (Josh wasn't that shy - he didn't even look back as he walked away with his teacher.) Josh rode his bike on the first day - the first time ever I didn't see him to the door.

Sixth and ninth graders started on Monday, seventh and eighth graders on Tuesday, and everyone else today. I'm not sure why some kids need a couple more days than the others!

So Grace and I went to Storytime at the library today. She is doing really well with that. She isn't too shy to participate or too exuberant to be irritating. She loves making the 22-second-long crafts at the end, too. My only complaint is that it's too short. It takes me as long to drive over there, get her out of the car, and get situated in the room as it does for the storytime - and the craft included. (And if you ever went to Storytime at the Palmdale City Children's Library - it was sooo much better there. At least I'm the only one who knows the difference, I guess.)

And on the way home, I did something completely spontaneous and out of my comfort zone that I only ended up regretting a little bit. Kids are in school and it was a beautiful day, and as we drove by the lake I looked across to see only a couple of people on the beach! So even though I didn't plan on going and despite the fact that I DESPISE sand, we stopped by and played for a bit. Kudos to me, I must say, although I cut the trip short since I didn't bring anything to sit on or play with. Grace was fine just playing with her imagination in the sand and water, but I wasn't going to sit my backside on that gritty mess. ;) I did promise her that if the weather was just as beautiful we'd return tomorrow. I don't like crowds more than I don't like sand, so the emptiness and quiet of the beach was a big, big draw for me. I think I'm actually looking forward to it tomorrow!

:: Sigh :: This time next year, my oldest will be starting high school, and my middle one middle school. I'll have one year left with Grace before she starts. Goes by way too fast...

5 comments:

geo said...

marking time, never stops.

it is well worth the reward of seeing them grow up and become well-rounded, responsible, "people".

Grandpa-D. said...

What a Wonderful World!

Memaw said...

Time does go by fast . . . I was just thinking how old my two daughters will be next month . . .Looking back at how you both have grown up makes me very proud. On a sad note I heard something about the closing of the children's library here. That is a shame. I remember sitting in the little red train with Chrisy.

Christi said...

I don't remember a little red train.

Memaw said...

It was inside the library in the little kids section and you could sit inside and read a book. I think it was donated by Mrs. Porter one of your mother's teachers. Or maybe it was Josh who sat in there with me . . . I know it was some kid . . . LOL