I've obviously missed another year of qualifying for Mother of the Year with this one.
Last night, Ro was out, I was cuddling on the couch with Grace, Chris was solving a mystery on the computer, and Josh was in my hide-out, the basement. We were flipping channels and came upon America's Got Talent, which I admittedly watch here and there. Penn and Teller were about to do a magic trick, so Grace and I watched as the duo did the classic bit. Then they began to explain how the trick was done.
I paused the show (who doesn't love DVRs?), called to the basement and told Josh, "I think you'll think this is cool," because he's kind of had an interest in magic tricks. As he came up, I told Chris she might like it, too. She said, "I don't think I should watch Penn and Teller." I replied, "Aw, they're on a family show - it'll be fine."
So we're all cuddled around the show, Grace the Sponge taking in everything, as I rewound and began replaying the trick. And then it happened, what I didn't see coming.
OK so think what you want about the surprise... but it happened so fast I was completely caught off-guard, and of course, my Grace began freaking out. Of course the pause button is harder to find when you're panicked about giving your child nightmares forever.
Good one. Another credit to my fine parenting skills. Ha.
I'll also tell you, in a mini sequel from yesterday's story, that Grace decided last night (before the dreaded P&T incident) that she wanted to call Memaw and tell her a story. She got on the phone and began wandering around and rambling on about her story. Because she wasn't sitting with me, I didn't really hear it, except of course when she walked over to me and pointed at the part where she said THE EVIL QUEEN.
Hmm. I'm really trying not to get a complex here, but between her apparent feelings toward me and my not-so-on-top-of-it parenting, I think it's understandable! ;)
Thursday, August 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
Things are not always what they appear to be, and then not always how you remember them years later. Like the peanut in the vice demonstration?
too funny.
Sorry Dad, I don't remember any peanuts in a vice...only my fingers tightly held as I was told if I ever steal another thing in my life, that my figers would never be able to hold a softball again!!!
Now, that would be good parenting...well, maybe not. But that's alright...you don't remember that happening at all anyway...hmmmmmm
Sorry Deb, that's my point. A softball was never even mentioned. It was about never being able to hold anything that was not yours...hmmmmm..Think about it..Love ya!
Wow!!! Did you just admit that you did place my fingers of my right hand into a vice and tighten the vice!!! Finally...the truth comes out!
As for whatever you told me I wouldn't be able to hold again...I'm sure at that time of my life a softball was the one thing that held tremendous value, so I really think that is what you said, but it was a long time ago...so maybe I'm mistaken.
I guess I'm still shocked you finally admit to doing it!!! : )
Post a Comment