Craziness.
Robert and I have been spending many, many hours working on our house. We've painted, moved furniture, cleaned carpets and blinds and ceiling fans, and much more. We even did a little decorating. Our house is beginning to look like we live here now, the upstairs at least.
Dad and Denise arrived from Oregon on Sunday afternoon, and we had a good visit with them. Yesterday was a recover day for me... I just kicked back and enjoyed cuddling with my last wee one in celebration of all the work we've been doing. But today I'm back to work: in 4 days the California Crew arrives - Pop, Mom, and Deb.
And then life will be different! Pop living with us full-time... I am both excited and a little nervous about it, honestly! But I know that this is an awesome opportunity and it will be a great time for us to grow closer to him. I know that his loneliness will be eased and he'll eat better... so for all that I feel a little overwhelmed at the blessing of it as well.
If that made any sense.
But this morning, here's what's on my mind.
I have a question for you.
Joshua always says that, before asking the actual question. I noticed it the other day. He'll come up, say, "Mom, I have a question," or "Dad, I have a question for you." Now it's my turn: I have a question for you.
Let's say it's Sunday morning, fairly early. You get up and get ready for church, maybe rushing because you overslept or maybe taking your time to look a little better than you do the rest of the week. You gather your things, your kids, your whatevers, and go out and get in the car to head off.
Your neighbor is outside drinking coffee on the porch, waves to you. He says, "Where are you going?"
"To church!" you reply.
And then he asks you a question: "Why do you go to church?"
I'm curious. Our pastor asked this last Sunday and it got me thinking. Why do we go? I mean, really. The honest answers. The why we really go is sometimes different from the why we should go, isn't it? But really, what's the point?
So then, I pose the question to you: Why do you go to church? Is it the same for you as why you should go?
OK - let's hear it!
Tuesday, September 01, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
I go to Church to recharge my spiritual batteries. You are in the world most of the time and you need to be with your brothers and sisters in Christ to be able to continue the good fight. Also we never stop learning. Might sound corny but that's it for me.
When I first started seeing someone it was like I couldn't wait to spend time with him. We would spend lots of time on the phone, trying to spend all the spare time we could together, enjoying the getting to know each other and the intimacy of sharing with him my feelings and knowing that I could do so without condemnation. The more I put into the realationship the closer we grew together.
I believe the same goes for going to church. There is an inner craving inside that just can't seem to get enough, the more I spend time with God and his people the closer I get and the more I want get even closer.
I have also found that the rare times I do miss it's like my week doesn't go quite as well as it usually does . . . an emptiness starts forming and I miss the time that I didn't have with him.
I agree with both Mark and Carol. I go to be recharged, to spend time in worship, to hear God's Word and to spend time with God's people. It's like asking someone who loves a sport why they watch a game or participate in the sport.
For me, it's not about whether I should go, but I WANT to go and like Carol I feel like my week isn't complete when I miss it.
For me, going to church helps me cope with what I learn on Fox News.
i second the motion.....
i used to go because i had to. but now i want to. first and foremost, to praise and worship our Lord, God Almighty. then to re-fuel....to know Him better and better. and to fellowship. because we are a body, we are a family. and you get the extra bonus in seeing all that He has done and continues to do ~ promises fulfilled.
and...sometimes, if you are really lucky, you find your work there.
For the free coffee!
Just kidding...
To learn more about the Lord and my relationship with Him. To meet and grow closer to other believers. To spend time in worship.
I go to Church because God tells us to in his word. I also go because I need the fellowship and encouragement of fellow believers, I want to worship the God who gave me so much and I need to be fed from God's word. I was brought up in the Church and to me there is no question of what you do on Sunday, so in part it is habit but I am always glad I went!
Post a Comment