Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I Wonder...

What is it like to not be behind? I don't think I've ever known that concept, truly... to not be behind on

blogging
chores
paying bills
calling people
working on my unspecified business endeavor
reading my Bible
praying
doing my Bible study
unpacking the house
decorating the house
scrapbooking
shopping
nearly all of my 2009 goals
reconciling my accounts
reconciling others' accounts
paying my taxes
getting Pop completely transferred over to Colorado - DMV, doctors, etc.
turning in library books and videos
organizing the church library
paperwork from 6 months ago that I haven't even opened

Oh my, there's even more. It's exhausting.

I wonder what it's like to get ready to go somewhere and not be calling to everyone, "Come on, come on, we're going to be late!"

I wonder what it's like to not have boxes of stuff surrounding me, filled with things that need to be taken care of.

I wonder what it's like to have nothing to do but sit on a dock and watch the birds? Granted sometimes I don't do anything and sit on the porch and watch the geese, but almost always with the gnawing feeling that I should be doing something.

I wonder what it's like to not have to sign permission slips the morning of a field trip, to not have to pick up the kitchen or the loft or the bedrooms again right after I've cleaned them.

The only time I think I don't feel behind on life is when I've completed the very last load of laundry, usually on Monday evening, and by Tuesday morning I'm behind again.

I know, I know, you've missed my blog and this isn't what you were hoping I'd post about. Sorry. It's just overwhelming sometimes. Sometimes I truly feel like Hamy on his wheel at night, always running but going nowhere.

I've made a little progress these past 10 days or 2 weeks that I haven't been blogging, in a couple of areas at least. I updated all of Pop's checkbooks (there are many, don't ask me why) that hadn't been reconciled since December of last year. And I did my own, which had been sadly neglected since August. That's a good thing, but the only thing I've really put a dent in.

How about you? Do any of you relate, or do you feel more like you're generally caught up with things in your life? Do you just have one or two things you're behind on, or do you feel like me that it's just everything? Is there hope that I'll ever be caught up, or am I just one of those people who are destined to always be behind on everything?

Well... at least my blog is no longer behind. (This one, at least.)

6 comments:

Memaw said...

I think a lot of it is you have a lot on your plate with a lot of people depending on you and everyone of them going in different directions. It's not easy juggling everything and trying to stay on top of things . . . in fact it feels impossible at times. As for me I'm not usually behind . . . I just choose not to do it and since there is no one to get upset that it isn't done then it's no big deal. Take one day at a time and deal with one thing at a time and don't let the over all things get to you.
I love you.

geo said...

"choose not" just can't afford to do it ALL the time :)) but when you do,,,ENJOY,,,, and DONT feel guilty. find the good in the things that you have done and find the good in things that always seem to be pulling you.

lol there you go. words from your favorite retiree.

Grandpa-D. said...

Ah, but Sittin' on the Dock of the Lake is not wasting time as you might think. You'll see that for yourself on Sumday.

Talena said...

You nailed it Beth! That's pretty much how I feel every day.

Beth said...

BTW, I don't think you're wasting time on that dock, Dad - but you are enjoying time. It is hard for me to enjoy time often knowing that I have a zillion things that I need to catch up on.

I was hoping someone would say "this too shall pass"... :) Maybe when the kids are gone and married? That puts us around 2029. Great. LOL

wshotshot said...

One can never fully catch up because for every chore, appointment, meeting or errand you cross off the list there are at least 2 more to replace it! Sometimes it can be overwhelming but I feel as long as I am making some progress then I am headed in the right direction. I concentrate on the must do's and if time or if I feel like it then I work on the others. Some days I just give myself permission to be lazy but since procrastination makes me crazy the must do's must be done first!