This may not be very nice of me to write, but it's my blog and I'm going to do it anyway. How about this? I'll try to say it as nicely as I can.
And don't worry ~ as far as I know it isn't directed at any of you who regularly read my blog. I think you're all safe. Aren't you glad?
I'm sitting here with the list of the 59 people who contributed to Pop's 90th Birthday scrapbook album. 59 people took a few minutes out of one afternoon to write Pop a letter, and many enclosed a picture. I know it was actually difficult for some of these people; a lot of the older people have trouble writing and getting pictures is sometimes a chore. But they did it.
We heard from many people in Pop's previous church family, close family, distant relatives, friends, former neighbors, and even former relatives. Some were short, thoughtful, 2- or 3-line blessings, and others were pages long. There wasn't a single one that I didn't love reading, including, and sharing with Pop.
But on the other side, I have to say, I'm trying to deal with the disappointment of those who didn't respond. Some are folks who send me crap e-mail every single day, tons of it, and yet they didn't take the time to write a brief note. Others told Pop that they love him when he moved to Colorado but apparently out of sight is out of mind (even with reminders). I know first-hand several who have benefited tremendously by the time and love Pop has invested in them, but apparently have better things to do than encourage and bless an old man.
I know, I should probably be just thankful for the many letters we got - and I am! I know I need to let go of the frustration toward the almost equal number of people who I feel just kind of blew this off. I bet I sound pretty prideful, huh? But it isn't about me - really. It was about Pop.
There's this one man who Pop thinks of so much. To be fair, I missed him in the original notes that went out, but I sent him a note immediately after Pop's birthday shindig, hoping he'd still respond and that I could add it to the album. That was three weeks ago. Every day when I go through the mail, Pop asks, "Nothing from Joe?" and it makes me so sad.
I don't know what blogging about this will accomplish, except maybe to get it off my chest. I guess I just wanted to thank you again for participating in Pop's book... and remind us all that these things mean a lot to other people, so that if we're ever asked again to do something like this, we'll make a point to participate. But of course I'm preaching to the choir, aren't I?
Well, thanks for listening anyway.
Thursday, March 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
I know I get disappointed in people on a regular basis.
I don't know why people do what they do or don't do what they should. I gave up trying to figure people out a long time ago. Pop is loved by many and I know some people like my husband for one had good intentions but he is a chronic procrastinator and even though I reminded him he failed to get it done. I was frustrated with him myself and he was frustrated with himself. Point being it does not mean he does not care he just let life get in the way!
Flaky people tick me off. They'd just better be glad they don't know how hard I can throw a punch.
life does get in the way...unfortunately. i think often of all the peoples i have known (and loved) over the years that i have lost contact with. i wonder what happened to them, how are they grown up, how are they as "oldies" how many kids do they have....it is a constant wonder and it seems that it happens more as we get older....people just disappear (sort of). i know my mom was lonely for her friends in p-dale when she moved up here, but when she moved back, they were not swarming to her door. go figure.
just smile warmly knowing that the love was and probably still is there.
You've been stewing over this much too long. Glad you got it off your chest. People are what they are. Love ya Lots!!
Post a Comment