I got to go this past Tuesday night and visited with Emily and Mom for awhile before they headed on over to the house to spend time with Pop before he went to bed and Grace before she exploded with anticipation. After they left though I was once again able to dig into my Bible and my study on Isaiah and enjoy the quiet.
The young man from last week stopped by my table to make sure all was well. I told him he might not remember me and reminded him of my story. I said, "I just wanted to you to know how much your words blessed me last week. It was really encouraging in the middle of a very difficult week."
He said a few words and then spoke directly to me. "Well, let me throw some more at you. The first chapter of James says, 'Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.'"
Ahem. Not my favorite verse in this season, but I needed to hear it. This morning on my Godwalk I just reflected over that verse again and again. Count it joy? Joy? Really, Lord, JOY? But I was reminded that although this season of my life has probably been the most difficult I've dealt with on an ongoing basis, my faith has never been stronger. Although I've rarely been to church in the past few months, I'm in my Bible more than ever. Prayer has taken on new meaning.
I'm not "there" yet, of course, but I see growth. Maturity. A deepening in my relationship with God that reminds me of how it is with my Ro - something that only comes from a long time together and time to grow together after the honeymoon is over, sometimes through challenging times.
This morning Todd and Angie Smith were sharing on Focus on the Family. (Their story is in my bloglist to the right, Bring the Rain.) Angie shares that when she first got the unforgettable news that their unborn baby girl's life was in danger, her reaction was this: My Jesus is the same now as He was seconds ago before I walked through that door. That really struck me, that in that time of crisis, her first thoughts went to My Jesus.
My Jesus.
My Jesus.
My Jesus, I love Thee; I know Thou art mine.
For Thee all the follies of sin I resign.
My gracious Redeemer, my Savior art Thou;
If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, 'tis now.
I love Thee because Thou hast first loved me,
And purchased my pardon on Calvary's tree.
I love Thee for wearing the thorns on Thy brow,
If ever I loved Thee, me Jesus, 'tis now.
- William R. Featherston, age 16, 1864
Eyes on Him,
Beth



1 comment:
The likes of That Young Man gives pride to American values. We must not forget there are many more like him.
Post a Comment