Monday, October 17, 2016

Chapter 4: The Dursleys

It was early in September when Ro and I met the Dursleys.  Now, if you are familiar with the Harry Potter series, please know that I mean NO disrespect when I refer to Charlie's current foster family as the Dursleys.  It just fit, seeing as they "fostered" Harry, and I needed another fictional name for the story.

I was able to speak with Mrs. Dursley on the phone and get a little bit more information about Charlie.  It was a good conversation, but what pleased me the most was the text she sent me shortly afterward:  I'm excited that Charlie will be going to a Christian family; that was very important to us.

Robert and I met with the Dursleys in person a few days later.  Over coffee, we heard more of Charlie's story.  Folks, I've got to tell you, much of what we have heard about Charlie's history is jaw-dropping horrible.  It is so hard for me to comprehend how someone could do what was done to such a little, little boy.  An incredibly cute little boy, for what it's worth.  Although I do believe that some of what he experienced was due in part to lack of means and possibly lack of education of his parents.  But really, it's unbelievable.

What I love about the Dursleys is how absolutely open they have been with us.  They are extremely forthcoming and very honest.  They want us to be completely informed as to what we are getting into, what his current needs are, his current challenges (behavioral and developmental), and more.  They have shared some of their frustrations with "The System" as well as pointing us in some directions to receive more support and resources.  They have made themselves extremely available to us, answering all sorts of random questions at all sorts of times, and have bent over backwards to facilitate a visitation schedule with us so that we could begin building a relationship with Charlie before he even knows we intend to be his forever family.

For that I am thankful.  They aren't the perfect family; who is?  But they have given the last two years of their lives to provide for this little boy and it seems as though he has made tremendous strides in that time.  I am thankful that *my son* had a stable, secure environment to protect him for the two years before God called us to parent him.  (Although, granted it could have been less than that had I listened to God some time ago - har har.)

It would still be another two and a half weeks before we would even meet Charlie, but already our hearts were becoming soft toward this little guy.

No comments: