Sunday, December 23, 2007

Time's Fun When You're Having Flies

Where does the time go?

The house has been full of people for over a week now. I love it. I love all the activity on all the different levels of the house.

M & N have already come and gone. We had such a good time with them. It's only a bummer their time here was so short, and that Ro had to work all week. Still we got to visit with them and hang out. I think they had a good time. They are really two amazing guys. I'm so thankful that we can count them as friends.

Now they've left but there's still a lot of us here ~ our 5, Mom, Pop, Deb, and Glenda. Pop has been cooking for us every day. I feel bad, having my 87yo granddad cook for a houseful of folk, but he really enjoys it. I guess it gives him some purpose, and man, he's so good at it. We've had potato soup, stew, meatloaf, coconut cake. I told him that, no offense, I think he cooks better up here in CO. I don't know if it's the altitude or (more likely) that I just haven't eaten his cooking in 4 1/2 months, but I'm loving every bite.

I would love for him to move this way. I know Mom wants to live closer to the kids. But it will take a LOT to convince Pop to move. He started talking about all it would involve, and I just looked at him and said, "Pop, the hardest part is getting you to change your mind and come." Sure it would be a big job, a lot of changes. He's lived in that particular house I believe since 1959. But it would so be worth it to have him near us.

I was thinking the other day about how much I love living here. Some people have questioned whether it was right to leave our family in doing so. I mean, there are pros and cons to moving, but family weighs in heavily. That was the hardest part, of course. But each day I drive around town I am thankful. It's not just about being in a beautiful place. It's about not seeing ANY graffiti. No gang-bangers. No fences around the schools. No empty garage when we mistakenly left our garage open the other night.

Sure bad things happen here. I'm sure you've all heard about the devastating shooting two weeks ago by a very disturbed young man. Bad things happen everywhere. Sin is universal. After all, the Columbine shooting occurred about an hour from where we live. However, on a general, day-to-day basis, there is so much less crime here.

Here's another amusing thing, to me... Ro's co-worker has commented on how crazy the stores have been with the Christmas shopping. Really? Because they don't look any busier than our regular stores used to be on a Saturday. I love being in a smaller town.

Anyway, I didn't mean to ramble. I'm just thankful that we're here, that God opened up the doors for us to be here, and led us to this place. I'm praying that mountains will be moved and those we love will come and join us out here, and I'm thankful that those who won't or can't we are able to visit with every other month or so.

~~~~~
We'd gotten a little bit done around here before our peeps all arrived. Ro installed a vanity in the basement bathroom and I spruced it up with a shower curtain, towels, goodies, etc., - and of course a good cleaning. Picked up a futon. It's cooler down there in the basement but with the space heaters I think it's all right for them. Yesterday we finally got a satellite receiver worked out so there's a 2nd TV now (Mom brought her ancient one from CA for us).

We've been busy around here shopping, cooking, playing games, and just enjoying being together. I'm finished shopping ~ we finished up Grace earlier in the week ~ except for an order I'm waiting on. I think we finished up Pop yesterday. I think we're ready for Christmas.

I have to admit I am really, really excited. The kids think they're only getting one inexpensive gift apiece ~ so their minds are going to blow when they see what's under the tree. And G... she's at the perfect age, you know... I can't wait. Just taking her to Toys R Us to finish her shopping was a blast. We basically put her down and let her go to see what items caught her eye and attention. She is going to be so excited, I know it. I can't wait.

~~~~~
Because I tend to be (too) curious about celebs and their personal lives, I picked up Rosie O'Donnell's Celebrity Detox from the library last week. I used to be a big Ro fan ~ back in the day she had her own show I don't think I missed very many episodes. She epitomized, to me, generosity. Here was a woman who had money to give, and she gave it. A lot. That part of her is unchanged, and I do still respect that about her. She even mentioned in the book that if other celebs like her would give away half their net-worth, it wouldn't even change their lives in the slightest, and yet it could save millions of other lives.

However... in the years that Ro went off the air and then came back last year on The View... wow. When I heard she was coming back to TV I was actually looking forward to it. But in those years that she'd been off... it sure seems to me that she has gotten lefter and lefter and louder and louder.

And so the book, though not loud but quiet and introspective, was just... ugh. I didn't enjoy reading it as I thought, though it did fill out some of those details that I'm too curious about in terms of what happened with her and the staff of The View and her war with The Donald. I'm glad it was a short read, and I'm glad I didn't spend money on the book.

This book review brought to you by... LOL

~~~~~
I wish you could see G with Deb. It's like Deb is her best friend, and man, Deb is awesome with her. From giving her baths to letting her walk like a big girl through the stores (teaching her to say, "I'm free!") to facilitating what she calls "atomic drops"... G just has the best time with her Aunt Deb.

She loves having them all here, though, my Miss G. She says "Hi, Pop" and she's finally said grandma a few times. After the first time we got so excited I think we scared her. LOL

Good times...

No comments: