Sixteen years ago my husband told me a lie.
He wasn't my husband then, but he still told me a lie.
It was a Sunday evening and my Ro told me that we were going to some meeting of female aviators out at the local airfield. He was interested in flying at the time, and being the amazingly supportive sweetheart I am (was?), of course I said I'd go with him. He told me to dress nice, so I wore the dress he'd given me for Christmas.
Steve and Jan came to pick us up - his friend's parents, who shared a love of flying airplanes. I was a bit surprised they weren't as fancied up as we were. Rhonda, their daughter, took our picture as we walked out the front door. Odd, but it didn't register much with me at the time.
So we drove out to the airfield and found ourselves amongst the small planes, all lined up in their positions. We got out to look at them - I thought briefly - before the meeting. And then Ro told me were going in the plane.
Yes, I about crapped. This was a small 4-seater airplane. Ro's Jeep had more room in it than that plane. I didn't want to go and I was scared to death, but somehow he got me on the plane.
The whole meeting thing - a lie. A lie to get me out to the airport and in that plane.
I don't remember a lot of the details, sadly, but I remember how amazingly beautiful it was from up there, just before sunset on a Sunday evening. I don't think I'll ever forget how gorgeous the clouds looked below us, like frozen waves breaking on the Tehachapi Mountains.
I remember being so enthralled at everything I was seeing that I barely heard what Ro was trying to say. And then... the question.
The Question.
Yes, yes, I will marry you.
Saturday, January 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
What a wonderful beginning that day has brought you. Together, you have blossomed into a family that I am so very proud of. You have touched the lives of many, most of whom you will never realize. Your family and faith stand above any I've ever known. Keep on truckin'. There's only more awaiting!
Post a Comment