Last summer, I think, was the beginning of the end.
The turning point seemed to be, to me at least, the first week in June, when Pop fell and cracked his ribs. He recovered, many times he seemed just fine, but it seems that that was the turning point when he began to be more and more confused, and overall weaker and weaker.
In August I shared with you the story behind Tommy Dorsey's hymn Precious Lord. It's funny... it's an old hymn... and growing up in Baptist churches I was surely familiar with it even if I didn't know it quite as well as most. But I found the words of the hymn strangely comforting. One day after I took Christianne to school, I just needed some time... and I drove over the lake for just a few minutes to pray. All I could do was sing the words to this song.
The other night I asked Robert to borrow a hymnal from our neighbor. Flipping through the pages I came across they hymn. The words are even more poignant today... especially the second verse that I didn't know before.
Precious Lord, take my hand,
Lead me on, help me stand -
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn;
Through the storm, through the night,
Lead me on to the light -
Take my hand, precious Lord, lead me home.
When my way grows drear,
Precious Lord, linger near -
When my life is almost gone;
Hear my cry, hear my call,
Hold my hand lest I fall -
Take my hand, precious Lord, lead me home.
What songs comfort you in times like these?
Sunday, January 16, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I have always loved the song Every Day With Jesus. It bring me comfort always!!
Every day with Jesus
Is sweeter than the day before
Every day with Jesus
I love Him more and more.
Jesus saves and keeps me
And He's the one I'm waiting for
Every day with Jesus
Is sweeter than the day before.
verse 3
"I Am Jesus; Little Lamb"
by Henrietta L. von Hayn, 1724-1782
1. I am Jesus' little lamb,
Ever glad at heart I am;
For my Shepherd gently guides me,
Knows my need, and well provides me,
Loves me every day the same,
Even calls me by my name.
2. Day by day, at home, away,
Jesus is my Staff and Stay.
When I hunger, Jesus feeds me,
Into pleasant pastures leads me;
When I thirst, He bids me go
Where the quiet waters flow.
3. Who so happy as I am,
Even now the Shepherd's lamb?
And when my short life is ended,
By His angel host attended,
He shall fold me to His breast,
There within His arms to rest.
Post a Comment