It is absolutely beautiful, though. It's funny because I'd seen pictures like this, but growing up
And, I'm learning to drive in it. I thought this little snowfall over the past week was about done, but no, we woke up this morning to quite a bit more and it was still coming down. I drove J to school and then I had to go by the bank (I'm thankful for drive-up ATMs) and Wal-Mart. I go slow, but I think I'm doing pretty good, for someone with very, very little snow-driving experience. :)
But don't you worry, you Cali's who are headed here next week... It's supposed to warm up into the 40s. ;) (I have to tell you, though. Yesterday morning I went out and it was around 18*, pretty chilly. When I went out in the afternoon and it was 35*, it honestly felt positively warm! LOL)
The kids took their little snow discs over to the commons on Saturday and did some mild sledding. They had a blast, although J *hates* to be cold and wet. We're slow learners, you know? We set out after that to find some snow boots for them but their sizes were sold out at WM, Target, and Payless. We'll just have to keep our eyes open I guess. We did manage to get them some thermal underwear. :)
J can't understand why the schools aren't closed. :) They'd be closed for a week if this were in Palmdale. But here... they just deal with it. We sure are learning a lot here!
~~~~~
On Friday C had her first sleepover here. :) The girls had a good time, although J felt
Yep.
~~~~~
G turned 18 months old this weekend. She is just growing up so fast. I tried to make a list of all the words she can say but I gave up. She learns more every day and I just can't get it all. Yesterday when I got her out of her crib, instead of just saying hello like normal, she said, "Hi, how ya doin'?"
She's also started saying "geese" and "honk" (maybe because every time I see them I say, "Honk if you love geese!"). Man, I love to watch them. They are amazing, beautiful birds.
But back to the kids. G is back to greeting everyone she sees, which really makes shopping fun. At least people are friendlier here; everyone responds so enthusiastically to her, which of course, encourages her to continue.
C has her first band concert tonight and J's winter performance is tomorrow night. We're really looking forward to both of them. C made crepes in her cooking class yesterday and had a ball. And all three of them got together to perform for you, too. Here you go, if you haven't seen it already: Merry Christmas!
~~~~~
Got a lot to do around here. I've finished most of the shopping, except for Grace, one or two stragglers, and stocking stuffers. I've also done the shopping for others, too. :P Got my cards today and I need to get them out today or tomorrow. But the biggest thing is that I've got more houseguests coming next week. They're coming in waves: 2 on Monday, 3 on Tuesday, 1 on Wednesday. :) Fun, fun! But the to-do list is unending!
And days like today... man... I really have to fight the temptation to climb back into bed or a hot bath with a good book.



6 comments:
Oatmeal:
1c water
3/4c oats ~ Coaches. The ol' Quaker gets too mushy.
a dash of salt unless you have hbp bring water to boil add oats cook til water is absorbed/evaporated
put cooked oats in cereal bowl,top w/ brown suger, or even splenda, and enough milk to cover the oatmeal and call it good
does wonders for young hearts and old bones in the winter
Thanks for that, but, um, I really need a good recipe for hot chocolate! :)
i looked...that was a mistake. theres all kinds of recipes, but nothing sounds familiar. have you looked on the back of a hershey's cocoa can? i dont know the measurement but i use cocoa, sugar, WHOLE milk, ~ all to taste. dont boil; heat it slowly. serve it up wi/ whipped cream or get real fancy and do something with cinnamon sticks or other garnish.
oatmeal is a lot easer LOL
Would you believe that I looked for the Hershey's cocoa and couldn't find it with the rest of the drink mixes? I'll have to check another store. For now, I'm doing all right with Nestle's rich chocolate envelopes - the kind you use with water. They're close. :) Thanks for looking for me, though.
I got this from my friend M the other day:
Hi Beth,
Merry Christmas! I just tried to post on your blog, but couldn't get it to work. Just wanted to give you the hot chocolate recipe. We don't have it much, but have always used Nestle, which had the recipe on the side of the can. Back in 2005, I bought a new can and no recipe. So I emailed them and here is the recipe:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup Nestle Toll House Baking Cocoa
4 cups milk, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
Combine sugar and cocoa in medium saucepan. Gradually stir in 1/3 cup milk to make a smooth paste; stir in remaining milk.
Warm over medium heat, stirring contantly, until hot (do not boil). Remove from heat; stir in vanilla extract.
Thanks for sharing, M! :)
PS - and Geo tipped me off that the cocoa should be in the baking aisle...
Post a Comment