We are really coming to love our new church. Although it didn't feel big at first, we are becoming aware of how big it really is, in that we're finding it hard to remember faces and get to really know people. I think it runs about 500 people each week, through three services. Right now we are trying to make it a goal to get plugged in and get to know others through small groups, Bible studies, etc.
There is a moms' group every couple of weeks that I am looking forward to, although I've had scheduling conflicts every time it's occurred so far. :) Joshua has been diligent about trying to make friends in his Sunday school class. Christianne has met two girls through hers, and this week I took her to her first youth group meeting. (Can you believe she's ready for youth group? :: sigh ::) She enjoyed that quite a bit and is eager to go back. We are looking into finding a "flock" (small group) to meet with regularly as well - but it's kind of crazy with Ro working late nights several times a week. And lastly, Ro has just completed a 12-week Bible study on Biblical Distinctives, which determines what God's Word has to say on key values of the church (authority of the Word, roles, spiritual gifts, etc.).
I have to tell you... Ro came home last week and said that during the last meeting (this past Tuesday), our families were invited and we'd have a potluck. I said, "Great, what do I bring?" He said, "It doesn't matter." ACK! It doesn't matter? Surely coming from years in a southern Baptist church you know that organization matters in a potluck. ;) He told me, "He said it always works out fine." I just smiled and said something to the effect of, "That's a man planning a potluck for you."
Because I was sure that this potluck would end up with a dozen desserts and no real food, I made a boatload of mac and cheese. I also caught myself worried on the way there - will there be adequate forks? plates? drinks? But you know, he was right - it did all work out fine. There were even forks and plates and drinks... and a dozen dishes of pasta. :)
Ah now, where was I? Oh yeah... our church. One thing that truly impresses me, though, is that despite its size, the people who seem to know us most, ask about us most often, and remember the most details about us, are the pastors. Maybe you'd expect that, but in a church this size, I'm impressed. I've been in a much smaller church in the past where the pastor not only couldn't remember my name - he couldn't remember if I'd been there before - week after week!
But I think the thing I like the best about this church is that it is not very fluffy, not even for the kids. I get frustrated, honestly, with curriculum that teaches the same Bible stories again and again and again - Noah and David and Samson... They are important, of course, very important - but so is the rest of the Bible (often the Old Testament) that often gets neglected. I believe the kids are using John Piper's material in Sunday school. Christianne's group is studying God's character, while Joshua has been learning about the prophets (Amos last week), and the youth group is in 1 John. Good stuff, and pretty exciting.
The only bummer about our church is the distance. I do wish it were closer, especially with the price of gas right now (we're up to about $3.35). Still, you go where you feel God leading you, and we think, after the last few months, that this is the place for us. Praise God!
~~~~~
So I'm pretty excited to report that I got to do some scrapbooking this week. Everything fell into place where the timing was right, the scrapbook area was uncluttered and inviting, and I actually wanted to. I think this is actually the first time I've scrapped for our own family albums since I had to pack up my things last July. It took me two sessions to complete two pages, but it's going to take some time to get those juices going again.
That said... I've been thinking about cardmaking. I buy a lot of cards, and even when I buy the cheapies at WalMart, it adds up. I had asked Robert about getting me a cardmaking program for the computer - you know, the kind where you basically make it on the screen and print it out - but we just haven't done so yet. I know my friend Kathy makes nice cards like these, and I remember some pretty ones from Wanda as well.
But then yesterday while I was eating lunch and going through mail, I saw a tip in a scrapbooking newsletter from Archiver's: After you complete a page or layout, use your scraps to whip up a greeting card. In no time, you should have a plethora of cards for any occasion, and you've used up your scraps as well.
I don't know about you, but I save nearly all of my scraps, hating to waste stuff that I could someday use again. That said, I rarely use them! I have a huge amount of scraps that I've accumulated over the years. So the idea of making my cards from my scrap supplies (instead of the computer) is now quite appealing to me. In fact it was the first thing on my mind this morning.
Now the only greeting card I've ever really made from my scrapbook supplies (for people outside the family / to send), is what I made in a stamping workshop some time ago, and I've never used it. My biggest question is this: Do you buy card-sized envelopes at a craft store, and make the cards to fit? I know that envelopes can be made as well, but right now I think it would be easier to just concentrate on the card. I think a trip to Hobby Lobby might be in order; I need a scorer as well, and my one and only (how can that be?) black scrapbook pen has wandered off.
TGIF. Enjoy your weekend.
Friday, April 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
i dont care if you send it in a manilla envelope....i better get a card.
:)
About the potluck...When I did women's ministry we use to have a brunch pot luck and I also didn't have a set "you bring this" list. It worked everytime and there was always a lot of food! It's also how Lorinda did it at TLCC. B
Oh, there was a lot of food. It was just mostly pasta. lol ;)
Post a Comment