Thursday, January 20, 2011

Now in comparison

When Gram was in her final days, we were blessed by the continual presence of several people from our church family.  One of the most beautiful memories about that time was when Vickie told us that she didn't want to wait for Grandma to die for her to sing at her funeral, but that she knew Gram would want to hear her sing before she died.  She called home for some music and then we all gathered in her room and listened to her sing for Grandma.

It's really one of the most beautiful things anyone has ever done for us, ever.

I've thought of that memory a lot the past few days.  I know she would have done the same for Pop if we were still in California.

Tonight we got a phone call from one of the life groups from our home church in California, who were meeting together at Vickie's house tonight for Bible study.  There were about a dozen people there, and they called us and talked to us on speakerphone.  It was so touching, so sweet, that they would take the time out to call and check in on us as a group.  So special.

And then Mom asked, before they hung up, for Vickie to sing.

And she did.  Mom put the phone by Pop and Vickie sang "Amazing Grace."  I think some of the others joined in as well.

So beautiful.  So moving.  So thoughtful and encouraging. 

Eyes still on Him,
b.

1 comment:

Beth said...

PS> Vickie called back late last night and sang to Pop again - "Whispering Hope." Beautiful.

But I do want to stress that I didn't mean to overlook the others. Everyone who was there was so sweet and we were so blessed. I think the whole idea was initiated by Jeannie - she has been a rock especially for Mom.