Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Now That's True Giving

I'm almost afraid to voice this, but... I think spring might have arrived here. I'm afraid to say it lest I jinx it or something, but I think it just might be spring. There's no snow forecast for the next 10 days, anyway. :) If it does snow, we might just make one of these:


I distinctly remember falling in love with novels when I was in third grade. I think I enjoyed books before that, but the earliest novels I remember reading was in Miss Lewis's class. I remember really enjoying the magical books written by a novelist named Ruth Chew, as well as enjoying Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and James and The Giant Peach read to us on a weekly basis by our school librarian, Mrs. Vale. Or Mrs. Vail. :)

Of course I remember reading other books as well - Harriet the Spy was a favorite, as well as some Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew, Little House on the Prairie, and the Waltons. I didn't really fall in love with the mystery genre until I was a little bit older, I don't think.

But the reason for this little trip down memory lane is because my heart is absolutely delighted that Joshua, I think, is falling in love with reading as well. Christianne has read forever - handling Junie B Jones novels in kindergarten, and she always has more than one book going at a time. Joshua has always seemed to enjoy reading when you make him sit down to do it, but most of the time he seems to prefer video games and Legos. In the past few weeks, however, he's become engrossed with the Harry Potter books. I love it, of course - they are really tremendously written stories. He's currently 100+ pages into the the 4th book of the series, and I think this has to be the biggest book he's ever taken on. He's just loving it, though - not wanting to stop during the church potluck last night or when it is time for bed. I really hope that when he's finished with the series, he'll take on another that's equally as satisfying. I hope this is the start of a genuine, lifelong love of reading.

What books influenced your love of books?

~~~~~

On another note, would you do this for someone in your church?


2 comments:

geo said...

the snowman LOL what a perfect way to welcome spring. and here i thought it was all about daffodils.

i remember mrs ford giving me The Boxcar Children to read...i had run out of reading material. that started it. when we went to germany, i spent the week on the ship reading. Henry Huggins. by the time we left germany, i do believe i read every book in the "children's" library because we had to have special permission to read "adult" books. [eyeroll]

and then...there's always encyclopedias. what do you want to know about alligators? i think thats as far as i got.

geo said...

oh yeah...and the kidney, it wasnt the pastor, but there was an anonymous kidney donor from our church that gave to a new lady in the congregation, just this past year. joyce, after a lengthy recovery, is doing well and testifies to His healing. Cool