Which is often the way it is.
I have chosen to not get political with my blog, for a few different reasons, although if you know me you know that I have strong feelings on the matter so it isn't out of apathy. But this morning I'll say one thing and then I'll preach a little. Naw... no preaching... I'll sing you a song. :)
Here's my one thing:
God is in control.
Regardless of how egocentric we are, God is in control. God never changes. He is sovereign and He sets the rulers of our nations and quite simply, He is in control.
And now for a song. (I just had a Veggie Tales moment...)
Years ago when Robert and I came back to the church we began to get involved with churches that feature more contemporary worship styles. That isn't to say that we are anti-hymn; in fact, hymns remind me a lot of growing up in the church as a child, and many of them are spot on theologically (although some aren't - as well as some contemporary songs... you should test all things - really).
So this morning I was over at Geo's blog and the title of today's post reminded me of a song that we sang years ago... and the lyrics are actually quite appropriate for us today. Someone commented to me yesterday how the world has changed. True... but these words are as timeless, I think, as the Subject of their message, and it doesn't matter which side of the issues you are on - this message is for all of us. Here goes:
In Times Like These
Ruth Caye Jones
In times like these you need a Savior
In times like these you need an anchor
Be very sure, be very sure
Your anchor holds and grips the Solid Rock!
Chorus:
This Rock is Jesus, Yes, He's the One;
This Rock is Jesus, the only One!*
Be very sure, be very sure
Your anchor holds and grips the Solid Rock!
In times like these you need the Bible
In times like these O be not idle
Be very sure, be very sure
Your anchor holds and grips the Solid Rock!
Chorus
In times like these I have a Savior
In times like these I have an anchor
I'm very sure, I'm very sure
My anchor holds and grips the Solid Rock!
*P.S. If you do happen to be a supporter of President-elect Obama, please, please, please do not mistake him for the Savior. I've actually heard this sentiment expressed personally on at least two occasions as well as seen it portrayed heavily in the media. Jesus is THE Savior, THE Way, THE Truth, and THE Life. Period.



1 comment:
I could not have said it better myself. I was feeling depressed over the election outcome but I had to pray on the way to work and say "OK God I don't understand but I put my faith and trust in you"!
Post a Comment