Thursday, November 27, 2008

With A Grateful Heart

Hey, hey, it's a giveaway! A lot of bloggers out there who have a lot of readers like to do giveaways. My readership is small - so you have a better chance to win! :) Details are at the end of this post.

~~~~~
The other day I was in one of those sentimental moods... Grace and I were hanging out and I was thinking about how much she has added to our lives... how she didn't really come earlier in our lives when we'd planned (she came about 4 years later than I would've liked!)... how I couldn't imagine life now without her... how some advised us to not even carry her to term... how, despite the pregnancy we had, how bright and beautiful and healthy she is. And I said, "Grace, I sure am thankful for you."

She looked at me deep in the eyes and said, "I'm thankful for you, too."

No, I don't really think she knows what it means to be thankful yet. Later when a little Thanksgiving blurb came on Noggin, Grace came running over to me and said, "Mama! Do you know what I'm thankful for?!"

I said, "Me!"

She said no.

I said, "What?"

And she replied, "Princesses!!!"

Of course. Me, too. Especially my princess.

I wish Thanksgiving were more than once a year. Maybe if it were more often it would lose its meaning. But don't you think we should really stop and think about all that we are blessed with on a more continual basis?

We should be thankful more and complain less.

~~~~~
Many thanks to those of you who commented on my last post and sent e-mails concerning my neighbor. There were a lot of great responses. When Robert got home, he went straight over, but there was no answer at the door. He did go back later and they answered - he gave them our phone numbers and just talked to them. This weekend he's going to go offer to hang their Christmas lights. What a guy I have.

In the meantime, here's the update and some answers to your questions... Scott had been at home when he evidently had a seizure. Apparently he's been having these neurological issues since he was discharged from the Army. They seem to be a result of something that happened while he was in, but they're not sure what's going on and are treating him for that. Anyway, the seizure evidently didn't subside quickly so his wife Mandy called 911 and he was taken by ambulance to the hospital. A relative watched the baby and Mandy went to the hospital to be with Scott. This all happened that evening. While he was being treated for the seizure stuff, they also determined he had appendicitis and performed an emergency appendectomy. Nice, huh? I'm not sure how long he'll be not working and all that. We don't know them that well (didn't even have their phone numbers), but maybe through this we can help meet their needs and shine Christ and get to know them better.

(By the way I found out because my neighbor Trish asked me about the emergency lights. SHE actually went down at the time it happened to offer help and childcare. I didn't even know there was anything going on. Doh!)

So thanks again, everyone, for your input and most of all for your prayers.

~~~~~
My prayer today is that God will change my heart to be ever grateful, not just on Thanksgiving but each day He blesses me with life.

Happy Thanksgiving ~
xoxo

~~~~~
Hey, hey!

What are YOU thankful for? Post a comment here on the blog with 5 things you are thankful for, at least one of which is not the typical God/family/etc. answer. Tuesday night I'll do a drawing of everyone who commented* and the winner will receive a gift from me. :)

*That sounds very poorly worded but my brain won't let me think any clearer at the moment. I trust you know what I mean!

4 comments:

Dad said...

1) I am thankfull of God's forgiveness for the many sins that I have done.

2) I am thankfull to God's lead in always finding a way to provide for my family. We have always been blessed with good health and fortunes sufficient enough to meet our needs. I am blessed with a family that loves, forgives and respects me, as I do them.

3) I am gratefull to have been in a position to help and defend those that were helpless and defenseless; many of which I had never met before. To have contibuted to making this a better place.

4) I am thankfull for God's protection from those that have tried to kill me, and for the protection that He gave to those that I tried to kill.

5) I love this quiet place where God has led me to await His calling

Memaw said...

Dear God,
I’ve thanked You a thousand times for my roses but never once for my thorns. Teach me the glory of the cross I bear. Show me that I have climbed closer to You along the path of pain. And show me that, through my tears, the colors of Your rainbow look much more brilliant.

--George Matheson

geo said...

i dont want to win. i already have.

1.) i am thankful for a God who is faithful to me.

2.) i am thankful for His Holy Spirit that can make me laugh when I don't feel like laughing, dance when my feet won't go and love when I just don't wannna.

3.) i am thankful for my family, my children and my husband, especially. i pray to leave them a legacy that will remain theirs forever ~ Jesus loves you.

4.) i am thankful for being able to see as the writing on the wall becomes more clear. He is merciful. He is coming!

5.) and i am thankful for the my "big" family, my brothers, and sisters, nieces and nephews, and all the grand~childrens.....and the countless prayers He has answered for each of us.

and,,,i am thankful for Beth. she is an awesome sister in Christ.

Anonymous said...

1)Right now more then ever, I am grateful to live in a country where I have the freedom to worship the Lord. We should not take this for granted, it may not last.
2)Being a Grandma...It's the best!
3)To have a job even if my hours are not what I want them to be.
4)Gas prices are way down which makes it more economical to commute to work.