Saturday, September 12, 2015

It's only been 11 days?


It feels like it has been several weeks, at least!

Christianne ordered each of us a gift to be received after she arrived at boot camp.  Each gift was perfect for each one of us.  The Wigglets were first.  Joshua got a Lego minifigure of a Sailor.  Grace got a Navy camo uniform for her American Girl doll, complete with boots and hat.



A few days later, Robert got a t-shirt.  It says, "The only thing tougher than a Sailor is her dad."  I think he wore it four days before he finally took it off.  (And now he is wearing his other Navy t-shirt.)

Grace said, "Let me get this straight.  I got a gift, Josh got a gift, and Dad got a gift.  Everyone got a gift but you."  Typical DiMeglio comment. 

But mine came Thursday, and it means so much to me it almost hurts.  It is a beautiful silver necklace with an anchor, her birthstone, and her name.  This isn't the best pic because of the lighting, but you should see how beautiful it is.


Yesterday I spent the day going through all the things Christianne had decided she no longer wanted when she cleaned out her room.  It was bittersweet.  Lots of memories among these things.  It just made me miss her that much more, I think, but I am so proud of this kid and what she will do. 

I just sit here, though, and think about her.  I try to imagine what she is doing at this moment.  It's cooler there than it is here right now (it has been very similar every time I've checked).  Is she at lunch?  Is she wearing her PT clothes?  Have they issued her cammies yet?  Have they issued her a jacket?  (It's only 55 degrees there right now, and rainy.)  Did they give her several pairs of chonies?

I wish they had webcams at RTC.  But then I would probably NEVER get a thing done.  But wouldn't it be cool? 

We are already beginning to make travel plans for her graduation.  After all, we only have 7 more Fridays!  At least football has begun to help pass the time.  Go Broncos!

No comments: