Monday, August 11, 2008

Another Day in the RMNP

I'm on the right blog, right?
Ro got up early and took the elder Wiggies fishing. They didn't catch anything, but they had a good time. This afternoon we headed back up to the RMNP for a Wildflower Walk with a naturalist around Lily Lake.

Amazingly beautiful there. It was a wonderful afternoon. I don't think we could have had a better guide. He taught us all about wildflowers - and not just by pointing them out and telling us what they were, either. He taught us how to use an identification guide (works something like a flow chart) and how to identify flowers correctly by studying not just their color, but their petals, stamens, leaves, and more.

He also taught us about hummingbirds, mimics (animals or insects that mimic another - like a hover fly that pollenates flowers that looked just like a bee), and more. It was a great walk, taking us about an hour and a half as we walked clear around the lake. We also saw ducks and ducklings, a garter snake, squirrels, and countless chipmunks.

~~~~~

Last night we had an amazing light show by the most incredible Artist there is... a lightning display bright and beautiful lighting up the night sky. We had just gone to bed and turned out the lights... it was the kind of lightning that was so bright we could see it with our eyes closed.

Christianne came running in from the basement, slamming doors, breathless, turning on the overhead lights. She wasn't afraid of the lightning; she didn't even know it was lightning. She thought someone was outside shining a light in the window. :)

It was incredible. It reminded me of our first night here. We were all 5 sleeping on the floor in the loft. It was hotter than heck and Grace took a long time to go to sleep. I couldn't sleep - the floor was hard and I was hot. A thunderstorm began and I went into our bedroom to watch it out the window. It was awesome... a very cool moment and an incredible sight to see.

I haven't been sleeping well, so I'm really tired. When I do sleep I am dreaming of demonstrating kitchen tools over and over and over again, so I wake up feeling like I worked all night. :) What a goober I am. I sure hope I get a good night's sleep tonight though. I'm worn out.

I'm loving watching the Olympics, but I have an issue. Maybe this is already available somewhere, so if so, could someone direct me to it? My issue is that I never know what event is on and when. I would love to watch specifically certain events and people or even set them up to record; but I hate waiting for them - or even worse - missing them because I don't know when to watch. I would love to watch it constantly, but you know, that's just not practical. :) If anyone's got it figured out, let me know.

Now GO USA. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

when you find the schedule, post it. i have been wanting one too.

sure wish i could pack it up and go to the park. how cool is that!!!

g

Anonymous said...

The Olympic schedule is available on the NBC website.