Friday, August 08, 2008

See the Bounty... of Larimer County

When I was growing up, a special event each year was attending the Antelope Valley Fair. It was often the highlight of summer, and a signal that the season was nearing its end and school was about to begin again.

We went, if not every year, then almost. It was a tradition - to walk around and bump into people you knew but didn't see very often; to walk through the big buildings with all the zillions of fair entries from photos to table settings to bee hives to scrapbook pages; to marvel at the size of the pigs, goats, sheep, and more; to listen to live music and see other performances; and of course to eat junk food and ride a lot of overpriced rides.

We loved it.

I danced there once. In a purple tutu.
Ro has performed there as well - and worked there, too! It was just part of growing up in the AV.

As teenagers, it was the cool place to hang out. No parents in tow, not even really interested in riding the rides - just hanging out and walking around. Like cruising, without cars. ;)

When we became parents, it took the Fair to a whole new level. You know - now it wasn't about all the cool things for us - it was about the wonder in the kids' faces when they saw those animals up close, took in the lights, rode their first coasters (or camels or elephants!), tasted cotton candy.

And then, unfortunately (in my opinion), the fairgrounds were sold and the AV Fair was relocated to another spot.

We went that first year, twice. The first time we went because the Newsboys and Audio Adrenaline were performing, and no one should miss a show like that. And then we went back with the kids and explored the Fair in its entirely.

I have to say, I was incredibly, sadly disappointed.

The grounds were plain. Bare. Ugly. It was like someone plopped down a couple of big red buildings on a vacant lot, set up vendors beyond them and rides beyond that.

The kids didn't notice, of course. They still rode rides and saw the animals. But we noticed. It simply wasn't the same.

So we didn't go back. :(
This year, however, we decided to check out the Larimer County Fair.

First of all, last week, my neighbor/friend Jess called and asked if we wanted to go to a parade. Um, yeah, I guess. I'd never been to a parade really other than a handful of Christmas parades we watched and/or participated in growing up. Shocking, huh? She took us downtown where we watched the Fair Parade. What a hoot! It was totally small-scale, with lots and lots of tractors and lots and lots of horses and goats. But it was fun. People handed out candy, bands played, fire engines tooted... we had a great time.

Then a few days later she called and asked if we'd like to go to the rodeo. Um, if I've ever been to rodeo I have no recollection of it. I had no idea if I'd like it or what to expect. I think she was a little surprised. The only one in our family who'd been to a rodeo before was Josh, and that's because he went with Jessica's family a few months back!

Anyway, they gave us tickets for the rodeo, and we attended the event before we checked out the rest of the fair. I HAD A BLAST! We went at the end of the day and we were all tired; I didn't know if the kids would like it; I wasn't really in the mood, I didn't think - and by the time I was there 10 minutes I was laughing out loud, cheering on the cowboys, ooohing and aaahing, and having the best time.
Ro and I loved every minute of it and would have loved to stay longer. Chris enjoyed it quite a bit, too. Josh was bored, since this particular rodeo did not include bulls chasing the cowboys, and Grace yelled "He-haw!" about half a dozen times, and then settled down with her blanket and her fingers in her mouth in a seat, about to fall asleep. I can't wait to do it again.

When I told Jess about it, she said, "Now you're true Coloradoans."

(Or maybe she said "true Coloradans." That seems to be what most people say, but I feel bad for the O when I leave out that syllable, so for me, it's Coloradoans.)

On to the rest of the fair... We had a wonderful time! Here are just a few ways it was different from the AV Fair:
  1. FREE parking.
  2. FREE admission.
  3. Beautiful, beautiful landscaped grounds, nice buildings, all on a very large area.
  4. It wasn't packed. We went on the last day, in the evening - same time we often went to the AVF, but it wasn't elbows to noses with people.
  5. As we were near the end of our time there, we saw *one* police officer; the AVF has had to have a heavy police presence in the past 10 years or so.
  6. No lines / long waits for the rides.
  7. As we left, a group of folks were seated on the grass watching a huge-screen showing of a children's movie.
  8. Clean bathrooms!

As wonderful as it was, there were a few bummers. We didn't get there early enough to see any exhibits besides the livestock, so I don't know if they have as much in that department as the AVF. The rides were also expensive. I guess that's typical, but it still stinks. And Grace was too short to ride any of them! The AV Fair still had at least plenty of toddler rides.

Overall, I have to remember that the population here is quite a bit smaller than it was at home, so I guess you do have to take that into consideration. But overall, our first experience at the Larimer County Fair was fantastic.

2 comments:

Memaw said...

Cowboys . . . now you know the real reason I want to move to Colorado . . . : )

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that you aren't here to experience the AVF. I'd gladly give up my spot watching the cheerleaders attempting to sell flowers for your fair anyday! I believe we get the privilige of selling flowers 2 days this year. I'm thinking I'll just save up some money buy the whole basket and go home! I do agree about the new location. I also hate it.