Saturday, September 13, 2008

Words Just Don't Seem Adequate

Look carefully then how you walk,
not as unwise but as wise,
making the best use of the time,
because the days are evil.
Therefore, do not be foolish,
but understand what the will of the Lord is.
Ephesians 5:15-17 ESV

The first time I came face-to-face with that passage was nearly 4 years ago, when I was carjacked at gunpoint in my minivan on a bright Saturday afternoon. It might have been the most frightening moment of my life. God was with me, it was clear, by a number of things that came out of that event, and I came across this passage at that time, which reminded me that life is short. We need to make the most of every opportunity (that's how it's worded in the NIV).
I was reminded of it again two years ago this week, when our friend Kyle was killed in a motorcycle accident. He was 22 years old - too young, much too young. I don't understand it, why God would allow something like this to happen to someone so young and full of promise. But I know that it's not for me to lean on my own understanding, but to trust in the Lord with all my heart (Proverbs 3:5). Hard sometimes, but part of our walk with Him.
Just this week we have been getting up early each morning to spend time with the kids in God's Word and prayer - just a few minutes at the start of each morning. We've been in the first chapter of James... talking about trials and perserverance and faith. Interesting timing, of course.
Because this afternoon we got word that a good friend of Deb's was killed in a train wreck yesterday evening. 18 years old, just beginning college at CSU, too young to die, Jacob, who himself had just lost his close friend to an untimely death a few weeks ago. My heart just aches for their family, for his mom Angela, just like it did two years ago (and still does) for my friend Vickie. To lose a child... Ugh. It's absolutely awful. I can't think of much worse.
So, my friends, my family, I *urge* you, I plead with you, I beg of you... please really hear the words with which I began this post. Life is short. We have no guarantees. Make the most of every opportunity. Tell people you love them. Don't take your family or friends for granted. Life is a gift - make the most of it.
But I caution you. Making the most of every opportunity might mean to you to hug on your kids (and you should) or to accomplish your goals that you've had for a long time (and it should) or to do a myriad of other things with your life. But the passage here speaks to much more than that. Paul says that walking in wisdom means understanding what the will of the Lord is. He doesn't talk about setting goals and realizing dreams. He talks about making sure you're in God's will, and that means making sure you know God, and pursue Him above everything else. Pursuing all of that other stuff - just foolishness.
If you know Him already, purpose to know Him better.
If you don't know Him, God promises He will be found if you seek Him with all your heart (Deuteronomy 4:29). He loves you. He died for you. He wants to have a relationship with you.
Please keep the Hefter family and friends (as well as the other victims from this awful tragedy) in your prayers. Pray for the Heflers as well as the anniversary of Kyle's death is often just as painful.
I love you.
Beth

1 comment:

Memaw said...

I can't even comprehend what it would be like to lose a child but being there and watching Deb go through all of these losses just breaks my heart. Stephanie, Jacobs girlfriend is dealing with a lot of guilt right now and really needs a lot of prayer also. I have learned through all I have lost not to take anything for granted. Hold onto what is important, let go of what is not and trust God with all your heart in all things. To my children and grandchildren, God has blessed mw so much with all of you and I am so proud and love you very much.
Love,
Mom