Tuesday, September 02, 2008

So Whatcha Been Up To?

Today, the day after Labor Day, is one of my favorite days of the year. Weird, huh?

I love it because to me it signals the end of the summer and the beginning of fall... back to school (even though for the past few years we've been starting in August)... new beginnings (new school year is just like a new year)... back to routines and structure and calendars and diets and cooler weather and all of that tremendously excites me.

Especially because I got two new purple pens yesterday. The day after Labor Day, and two new purple pens... sweet!

The second wave of visiting family has come and gone. That is the only sad part about today... that they had to leave this morning to get back to their own routines. We had a great weekend, just hanging out, playing tons of games, and eating way, way too much.

And they spoiled me... Especially Deb. I've gotta tell you that I was given things this weekend that are way over the top. Things I definitely do not deserve. Things that blow my mind. Want to hear about them? These are just the tangible, material things, mind you... they don't compare to just having them here with me for a visit.

1. Deb gave us a laptop she no longer uses. This will come in pretty handy, I think. We are a geeky family, and I am a firm believer that you cannot have too many computers. :) It might even be fun to use for my unspecified business endeavor. We'll see.

2. When we moved in to this house about 53 weeks ago, the microwave over the stove worked perfectly but lacked the glass part inside - the turntable. For over a year now, we've added a plate at times (popcorn) and just dealt with it. I've grumbled about it a lot. We hadn't found a used microwave w/plate that it would work and were too cheap to spend the $ on a replacement part. Well, Deb came through and got us that turntable for our anniversary gift. I will now think of Deb and pray for God's incredible blessings on her every time I use the microwave. Which, you know, is a lot. :)

3. Are you ready for this one? I don't know that you can really understand the magnitude of this gift unless you are a scrapbooker. Or have seen the infomercial. Or happened to notice it in some store with a gigantic price tag next to it. But if you fall into any of those categories, you won't believe what I got for my birthday. Now, you know, nothing could top what they did for me for my birthday last year... but this might come pretty stinkin' close. Look, Mama, what I got:

The Cricut Expression machine. And accessories! Oh, the things I can do with this baby...

Deb did her research. Here she does The Vanna while pointing out all the features of this incredible gift.
I couldn't wait to call my friend Jessica to tell her about it.

Today, unfortunately, has been a catch-up day for me - catch-up on rest, bills, paperwork, unspecified business, etc. But tomorrow... tomorrow will be The Day of the Cricut. I can't wait to explore all its wonderfulness. I will scrapbook. I will make cards. I will make signs for the entire house. I will plan home decor that will come from my Cricut. I will consider and explore ways to earn $ for Cricut fonts and cartridges. I will spend time with my Cricut and we will become very close friends by the end of the day. Or Grace's naptime. Whichever comes first.

I have to say that it is actually quite humbling to be the recipient of such tremendous gifts. I am very, very blessed to have family who love me so much. I often wonder why... as I certainly don't deserve it. That's God's grace, too... completely unmerited blessing. It's sometimes incredibly overwhelming.

I could go on and on and on... but my beloved is home and wants to eat.

Thank you all for being such incredible blessings in my life. I love you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know we are not supposed to covet what others have but darn if I am not coveting that Cricut. Maybe Deb will adopt me! LOL
I am so happy for you because I know how thrilled I would be to get such a wonderful gift!! You are so blessed to have a wonderful sister and one that gives from her heart. Way to go Deb!

Beth said...

You should move here and be my BFF and scrapping buddy and then I'd let you play with my Cricut. :)

Anonymous said...

Well, I cannot take ALL the credit, most of it, but not all! I have a side kick in all my endeavors, my mom! She is my travel partner, financial backer and sometimes the even the instagator (sp?) in my deviose (sp?) ideas!

Thanks Mom! I love you! And no wonder why I suck a crossword puzzles w/o cheating, I CAN'T SPELL!!!

Memaw said...

Awwww Debby, we both suck at crossword puzzles that is why we don't have to buy them too often and we have money for the really fun things.
Beth, I don't know what was more fun, the planning, the packing and carrying all that on the airplane, having my luggage searched or the look on your face when we arrive with so much lugguage and the surprise and joy of giving it to you. I am the one blessed beyond words when it comes to my family. What fun we all have together.
Love all of you!!!

Beth said...

I also forgot to mention the Agatha books... thanks, Mom!!!

You guys RAWK!

Anonymous said...

I would love to move there and be your BFF and scrapping buddy! I could share all my stamps and stamps pads with you. I am stuck in Palmdale for another 6-8 years. By then the Cricut will be old news and we will need some other new toy...

Anonymous said...

Okay, not only am I ousted as the BFF, but I'm also ousted as the scrapping buddy. I'm now extremely depressed. Congrats on the cool gifts, though.