Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Birth Order - Firstborns

This morning I went to the Moms 4 Moms group at our church (like MOPS), and heard a guest speaker talk about birth order. I've heard Kevin Leman speak before so these weren't brand new concepts to me, but they were still interesting and offer insight on understanding ourselves, our spouses, even our children.

If you're interested in studying more, I would encourage you to check out Leman's resources and others. But I thought it would be interesting to share some of the highlights of today's talk with you over the next couple of days.

The Firstborn Child (and Only Children)

In my family, this applies to me, Christianne, and because of the age gap, Grace. It also applies somewhat to Joshua, as he is the firstborn son.

98.2% of all Presidents and pastors are firstborns! Leading actors and actresses and talk-show hosts, as well as astronauts and doctors - these, too, are all predominantly first-born children.

General traits:

  • good students, good grades
  • like structure, lists, organization
  • serious
  • high achievers
  • self-critical - don't like to be wrong
  • control-minded
  • perfectionists

Type A firstborns are compliant, good-natured, people-pleasers, and servants.

Type B firstborns are more common; they are often aggressive, strong-willed, power-driven, and set their own goals ahead of others. They are often prone to health problems related to stress and relationship issues.

Tips for parents of firstborns:

  • Lower expectations. Allow them to be kids.
  • Don't overschedule them.
  • Teach them to say no to things.
  • Teach them it's okay to not be the best at everything.
  • Teach them to laugh, especially at their own mistakes.
  • Appreciate their strengths.
  • Teach them to help others, not criticize them.

What say ye? Any firstborns out there? Do you see these traits in yourselves, or in your firstborn children?

6 comments:

geo said...

interesting. by your definition, i am first born. by my mother who was there, i am third born. well maybe not because my older sister was pretty old when i came along following a first born son. maybe we can all fit into the first born catagory?

did it say anything about first-borns' approaches to capitalism?,,,i mean capitals?

Dad said...

Real First Borns are only the ones born first to the same parents. Real First Borns are only Type A, and control the world. Everyone knows that. To spred the wealth around and maintain control, Obamamamma, created the "Honorable Mention First Born (HMFB)" catagory to give most anyone the chance to feel special. HMFB's are the Josh, Grace and Geo types. Sorry to bust your bubbles, HMFB's. Hail to the FIRST BORNS!

geo said...

I'm lovin' it!

Beth said...

Okay, first of all... not MY definition. I couldn't make this stuff up. LOL

I think firstborns must like capitals. I've tried to post and send e-mails w/o them and more often than not I end up backspacing and correcting it. LOL

Christi said...

Hooray for me!

Christi said...

General traits:

good students, good grades
like structure, lists, organization
serious
high achievers
self-critical - don't like to be wrong
control-minded
perfectionists

Quote from Mom.

And how the heck does that apply to ME?