Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I Have a Bug Up My Butt

Last week sometime I got the postcard in the mail that the Disabled Vets of America would be in the neighborhood today picking up donations. I get these cards probably every 2 to 3 months, and usually once a year or so the timing is right and all the planets are aligned and I am not uberbusy and can spend a few hours going through things and logging them for donation. (I know, I'm anal. But it truly helps at tax time.)

So I called a few days ago confirming that I had some junk, er, gently used goods for them to pick up and I went to work. Ro unloaded a trash bag of his clothes and I went to work in the basement, gathering up old toasters, some kids' clothes, baby toys, and the like. While I was at it I listed (and re-listed) a few items on Craigslist, so hopefully those will sell and I can be rid of them, too.

I had to have the stuff ready for pick-up this morning so last night I went down to what I call the train room (because Joshua's old Thomas toys are there) (It would be really cool if we could make it the Lego room) (Can't you just imagine how clean his bedroom would be then?) to finish up. Now, in the train room I have lots of boxes... about a dozen or so still to be unpacked, three or four huge totes of holiday stuff, and probably twenty boxes of outgrown baby clothes that I'd been hoping to sell, not to mention all the stuff to go on Craigslist or donate to charity.

I started listing and packing things for the DVA (or however they abbreviate their name) when some of the boxes yet to be unpacked caught my eye.

The up side is that I got 3 boxes unpacked completely (on top of the $200 worth of stuff that was donated).

The down side is that now I have a bug up my butt to get all that other crap out of there.

Why is that a downer? I'll tell you. This house, for all its space, is short on storage space. There are no built-in cupboards or cabinets for linens or vacuum cleaners or things like that. It's actually absurd. And I can't continue unpacking until I have a place to put a lot of this stuff.

And that is a downer because that would cost money.

And we just got a puppy. And puppies, you know, are money pits.

And we're going to Cali in a few weeks.

And I really want to become and live the rest of my life debt-free.

But the list of things this house needs is very long.

Do you feel my pain?

We've lived here for nearly 2 years now. Can you believe that? And still the walls are bare, we need a bit more furniture, window coverings, rugs, backyard stuff, and of course, the storage cabinets / cupboards.

So I thought I'd vent.

I mean, I thought I'd see if you all had any advice. We do watch garage sales - I told you that recently... but generally I found with things like garage sales and Craigslist and stuff is that I can find lots and lots of treasures that we don't really need and not much of the stuff we do need.

So advise away, but be kind. I'm feeling very sensitive today. ;)

xoxo

8 comments:

Dad said...

Well, I feel your pain. We are no where near being unpacked. Actually some of it has been unpacked only to be repacked, and once it's concealed away from sight somewhere, it'll never be unpacked. We've never fully unpacked from our last move 8 years ago! And a lot of it is just crap.

Talena said...

Don't have any advise, but if you get any good suggestions send them my way. We've been in our house about the same time as you and have very little decorations or organizing stuff. I definitely feel for you!

geo said...

YOU are on the right track. stick to your guns. go cash all the way if possible. do one thing at a time. don't stop. you will get there or at least almost there eventually.

i went to target the other day with my girls...both of them. was just like when they were 5 years old. {eyeroll} i loved it. oh my what beautiful gadgets they have for kitchens. i am still {30 years later} using left over forks from my mama, several pieces from a variety of sets of dishes, glasses that have cascading mineral deposits because i bought them for a buck a piece at the dollar store {lead safe mind you}.....

and i am excited for my daughter who just acquired her first home...i would love to help her.....

but it all comes in time, little by little.

you are on the right track....you are.

Memaw said...

When you are out here I have some things you can have. I have book cases with cabinets underneath that I got from a friend and I have those huge bookcases that I will bring that you and Deb got me so won't need much of the others. I have paintings and other things you can look at that I won't be bringing when I come. Follow Georgia's advice and do not go into debt. It is not worth it.

Ro said...

I feel your pain. :) We need to look for craigslist and gs deals and do the best we can.

wshotshot said...

What we do is make a list(I know how you love lists just like me!) of what we need & want and then prioritize it. Their are things you really need like if your refrigerator goes out then their are things that are wearing out that you would like to replace or new items that you want such as shelves & cupboards. The 1st item on the list would be the refrigerator because you just have to have that! Then you have to decide well, do I really want to replace this wearing out item now or buy something new that I want or could use. Set a little money aside every paycheck and use it to buy these items that are not really needs but wants. We will use unexpected money sometimes for these things we want. Like if you have a super duper show from your unspecified business endeavor you could set aside a chunk of that if all your bills are paid and your needs are taken care of. I do feel your pain because I have of list of stuff I want and could really use but they are not priority so they stay at the bottom of the list for now! Oh and credit cards can be dangerous...my advise for those is to use only for those big ticket items that you need right now like the refrigerator. Use cash for the rest!

Anonymous said...

I like my mom's advice, but I think it's hard to follow. For example, you should see all the crap just she and my dad have. And, sorry to say, but I'm guilty of it too.

Here are my thoughts: you say you have things you want to buy to store the stuff you have. Why not just get rid of it?! Seriously, if you haven't used it in the 2 years you've been there, THROW IT OUT! What's the difference between it being in a box, and being in a box on a storage shelf. It still collects dust and takes up space in your home.

Come on, take a deep breath and throw it away (or donate it, of course). I dare you. It's just stuff, anyway.

-Amelia

Beth said...

Lots of good advice.

Actually, Amelia, I agree with you... mostly. :) Which is how I came up with about 10 boxes of stuff to donate yesterday.

BUT a lot of that stuff is stuff I *will* use... if I can get it unpacked. For example, I've been using flannel sheets since we've moved in. The same ones. I know it's Colorado, but in the summer, regular cotton sheets would still be nice. And I have them... in a box. LOL

I have lots of videos, family movies, craft stuff... I'm really not much of a hoarder - you should see how much I got rid of when we did move!

Or maybe I'm in super denial. LOL