Saturday, May 09, 2009

Remember...!

The other day, yesterday in fact, Grace and I went to Wal-Mart to purchase some birthday goodies for the birthday boy. We looked at the Wii games, deciding, you know, if this mindless entertainment is really worth $50 a pop, realizing it wasn't my money but Deb's (teehee), choosing a title, and then the sweet older cashier lady came over to help us.

She made small talk throughout the transaction, mostly to Grace, which is the norm, I have to say. She admired Grace's self-installed headband (which, sadly, we didn't get home with, which is doubly sad because I got it in Hawaii and it changes colors in the sun) (yeah, sorry, Chris). She admired Grace's outfit and listened as Grace told her all about going to Disneyland to see the princesses on her birthday.

As she gave me my receipt and I began to push the cart away, Grace held up her hand and said, "Wait! Wait!" She had a very serious, important look on her face, so I backed up so she could tell the cashier this crucial thing.

"Remember... Remember..." she said, again holding up her hand, this time with her index finger pointed heavenward. "Remember THE POWER OF GOD!!!"

I was pretty stunned. I have no idea what they taught my daughter in Sunday School last weekend, and I looked at her with a mixture of amusement and pride.

But then I almost wet myself when I saw the look on the woman's face. She honestly looked a little... afraid. I can just imagine what she must have thought. Perhaps she thinks we are those crazy purple shroud people or just the whacked-out right-wingers who brainwash their kids, homeschool, carry guns, marry their siblings, and don't pay their taxes. I don't know, but I know it struck her as very, very odd. (We are pretty right-wing but we aren't that nutty.)

I laugh every time I think about it.

And then I try to remind myself to ask just what their lesson was about last week.

6 comments:

Memaw said...

And a child shall lead them ...

geo said...

What day will you be at Disneyland? Perhaps I should call the Princesses now.

Grandpa-D. said...

That cashier could have been no more shocked than the Romans were.

Barb said...

Out of the mouth of babes!

wshotshot said...

I love it!!! Go Gracie!

Beth said...

Just thought I'd update you:

A) The headband was found.

B) The Sunday School lesson was not about the power of God, but about David as a boy. She had no idea where Grace would have got that.

Which scares me just a little bit...!