I loved being back in soCal to see them, though, and we are already planning our next trip out this spring. So let's see... here are all the details...
Thursday was a crazy day. In the midst of getting all our stuff together I had to take G into the doctor in Longmont to make sure she didn't have an ear infection. I'm glad I got most of my things done Wednesday so it didn't impact my time too much on Thursday. Anyway, our first trip to the new medical office... and it was fine. We saw a new doctor and she was kind and thorough and good with the baby. We had to wait only a few minutes, and we were done.
On the way out, Ro's boss caught me and introduced herself. We talked for several minutes and she just couldn't say enough about how thrilled they are to have him. :) I'm so proud of him! I know it sounds like I'm bragging about him, but I'm just really excited about how God worked all this out; how we have not only been blessed but others have been as well... it's just cool.
So anyway, we came back home and finished packing, picked up the kids from school, did all those last-minute things, and when Ro came home he took us over to the shuttle. That wasn't cheap but it took us right to the airport gate and that way I didn't have to deal with finding my way around a new airport and/or dragging the kids out if Ro took me. It worked fine. I could tell C was excited because she chatted all the way to Denver. :)
We absolutely loved our trip together, C and I. I hope it will be the first of many more mother-daughter trips over the years. We arrived at DIA, did the security thing, grabbed some munchies, and sat down to wait. We didn't have to wait all that long, though, and soon we were able to board the plane.
As we were entering the plane, C said to herself,
Our flight went well - very smooth over all. I took out some yarn and a hook and began teaching C to crochet. She learned to chain and did it all the way to LA (and worked on it even more on Saturday; the chain she made must be 20 feet long!). Pretty soon we landed, deboarded, gathered ourselves up, and met Mom and Deb waiting for us outside.
It was a late night. By the time we got into town it was nearly 1 a.m. (LA time, so that's 2 a.m. our time!) Driving through town we saw a group of young folk (read: gang members) that only served to remind me just one of the reasons why we left. We got over to Pop's where we were staying and he came out and greeted us. It really didn't surprise me much that he'd waited up for us. We settled in to Grandma's bed for the night.
It was actually strange for me, laying there in Grandma's bed. I kept thinking about when I used to sleep in that same bed with her when I was a little girl. The bed sure seemed a lot bigger then! It was odd to remember how the room used to be laid out, with the bed on the other wall... how she used to rub Mentholatum under her nose before she turned over and said her prayers before she fell asleep... how we'd get up in the morning and dine on Pop's Raisin Bran. Funny... because it's not something you think about much and it's been such a long time...
Anyway, Friday after Deb got off work (poor thing had to be back to work at the crack of dawn), we got together with her and Mom and ran by the mall and then met K's family for lunch. We had a great visit with them, but of course it was too short. C sure got emotional toward the end as well... she loves living here in CO but sure misses her friends and family.
Later that afternoon was Deb's award. Wow. I'm so proud of her! We began with a mixer in the library, where the world-renowned PHS Chorale sang for us - and man, they were very impressive! They introduced each of the Hall of Fame inductees and we were able to chat a bit before they chauffered us out to the football field in golf carts. :) Man, did I mention it was cold? Figures, huh?
But anyway, Deb looked so great and we were so proud of her. I'm so proud of all she has accomplished in her education and in her career and mostly in serving the youth that she works with. A lot of teachers just clock in, do their jobs, and clock out, but Deb goes way above and beyond what's required. She puts her heart and soul into her kids. She is passionate and supportive and firm when necessary. I admire her in so many ways.
So the hall of fame inductees were honored again during a pre-game ceremony at the Homecoming game. It was really nice, and if the weather were warmer, it would have been perfect. We stayed and watched some of the game, but eventually the cold won out and we headed back home.
Saturday morning Deb, C, and I had breakfast at Tom's. I have to admit I'm not a big Tom's fan but they do make the best biscu
its and gravy I've ever had. I've actually missed them here, so I promised C we'd go there, where she loves their strawberry waffles. After breakfast we three girls went and got pampered with spa pedicures. That was wild! And then we met up with Mom for lunch at Famous Dave's and after that we grabbed a movie - The Game Plan (loved it!). C got to go spend a few hours with a friend, and Mom, Deb, and I hung out together. (Believe me, there are many more details I could share about our time with Deb, but I'll spare you those details. You'd thank me. ;) ) After dinner at Red Robin we headed back home... but it was a great day just hanging out with a couple of my favorite people in the world.Sunday it was great to be back in church. I sure have missed these people! It will be hard to find a church here that will ever have the caliber of people that we had in our church in CA. They are the most amazingly loving people I've ever met. They put their love into action. I'll never forget when they sat with us through the night when my Grandma was dying... how in the middle of the night Miss V sent her husband to get some recorded music and when he came back we all gathered into her room as she sang to Gram. That's real love.
But, I digress. The only downside was being able to see these people for such a short time. Still, it was good and it felt good to be worshipping with them again.
Pop cooked for us! Oh my gosh... WOW. He made his amazing chicken, rice, and gravy again and I ate so much my stomach hurt. Delicious. I miss that, too - our Sunday dinners at Pop's house after church. Not just his cooking (although it's true I miss his yummy cooking!) but just being together as a family. After dinner and dishes, we got to work - and Pop and I again skunked Mom and Deb at Aggravation. hehehehe
And then the hard part - the TTFNs. C got weepy. Pop got weepy. Deb, Mom, and I - we just got to business. It's easier to just put it out of our minds. Off to the airport... and TTFN.
Our flight home was fine... a little bumpier than the flight in, but not bad. C didn't know enough to think much about it, and really, it wasn't bad. She read the whole way home and I worked on crossword puzzles. I was sad about not being able to see my loved ones again for awhile, and excited to see my Wiggy Ones. This time they met us up at the airport. I was so glad - I missed them so much - but it sure made for a late night. Oh well - they're young, right? Our plane landed around 11 p.m., and we deboarded and slowly figured out where to go. We took a train to where they were waiting for us. That was cool, and C didn't want to get off! Sheesh, she got to ride a plane, a golf cart, and a train this weekend! What fun! LOL
We stepped off the plane, onto an escalator, and as we ascended, I saw a handsome little boy... and near him a stroller... with a gorgeous little girl... and as that little girl spied her big sister, her face lit up in a huge grin as she pointed at us! Oh, my family! Thank you, God, for bringing us back together again safely. Ro looked so good... and J so handsome... and G was happy to see us (yes, it was a genuine concern for me that she wouldn't be!)... Yay!
Home to our own beds... to a whiny cat who wouldn't leave her home-at-last mama alone (and C had to eventually move to the couch)... to slumber for only a few short hours before the day began. :) Good to be home.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
- Ro was able to attend J's awards assembly on Friday. He was given an award for "outstanding use of vocabulary." :) I was so afraid he wouldn't be able to make it due to work. We've never missed an awards assembly... but his boss worked his schedule out for him.
- G's fever continued through Saturday, sometimes getting up to 103. She responded fine with Tylenol, though, and it seems to be over now. She has some cold symptoms, so it could be related to that, or perhaps it's related to the mouthful of teeth she's got coming in, including several molars.
- J was such a big boy this weekend. Ro reported that on his own, J cleaned upstairs, including the bathroom and loft. He helped Ro fix the garage door opener and install a shower rod. I was very impressed with him.
- When Ro picked up G from the babysitter Friday night, she not only wouldn't take any money, but she made Ro dinner as well! Wow, what a blessing! How sweet!
Prayer Needs:
- K's pregnancy
- C's biopsy site - still painful - and health problems



No comments:
Post a Comment