Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Don't Ask Me, I Just Work Here

Ro is back to work today. I miss him already, and I'm not sure his shift has even begun. I could get used to him being home a lot. Unfortunately, he's going to be working a lot of overtime in the coming months. :( OH! But I forgot to tell you, I got him back! He's finished with his mistress - JK Rowling. ;) He finished the Harry Potter series on Monday.

We're loving watching the Olympics. Grace regularly chants, "Go USA, Go!" Or sometimes just "'SA Go!" I even taught her, while watching mens' beach volleyball the other day, to say, "Dominate!" ;)

Speaking of beach volleyball, though, I have to say... why do the women need to wear bikinis? The tops are fine, but the bottoms barely cover anything. It's actually frustrating when I'm trying to teach my 12yo girl about modesty and my 9yo son about respecting (and not ogling) women. The men don't wear Speedos (at least not for this sport) - a pair of shorts are fine for them. Even the lady swimmers wear more than you'd even expect, full body swim suits for most of them. (That said, I might be the biggest fan ever of our amazing US beach volleyball team of May-Treanor and Walsh - they are awesome to watch!)

~~~~~
I got out of bed this morning and got on the computer, as I usually do, reading blogs and checking e-mail, when I heard Gracie calling me. "Mama! Mamaaaaa! Ayude me!" So I dropped what I was doing (uh-huh) and went in to her bedroom. Now Grace is 2 years, 2 months, and 1 week old, and some people might wonder why Miss Grace is still in a crib. To be honest, my plan is to keep her in it as long as possible. (And by the looks of her leg draped over the side today, it probably won't be terribly much longer.) There are two reasons for this. The lesser reason is that I don't want to go buy another bed right now. But the bigger, more compelling reason is that I am so not ready for her to get up when she wants and have freedom (potentially unsupervised freedom) before I'm ready for her. We took down the last baby gate the other day - that's enough freedom for her right now. More than enough!

So, like I was saying, when she called me, I stopped what I was doing and went into her room to free her from her crib. I opened the door and she said to me, "Oh. There you are. Is the food ready?"

(I think I should wear a uniform. I mean, it's obvious, anyway, that even to our youngest, I'm the servant, isn't it?)

No, your highness. I'll run downstairs and get it for you right now.

I remember when Christianne was a todder and she would wake up - every morning - with a big smile on her face, and we'd say, "Good morning!" And a few years later, when I'd go in to get Joshua, we'd sing a little good morning tune. What a great way to start your day - even if it's hard to get up and you're overtired from watching the Olympics 'til midnight - to greet your children and to find on their faces big grins and a joy about starting a new day.

Even now, they never fail (well, almost never), to greet us with a smile and a "Good morning."

And then we have Grace: There you are. Where's my food?

2 comments:

Ro said...

Did you bow? :)

geo said...

check out this link for "the great bikini debate http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/slideshow/ss.76#photoViewer=urn%3Anewsml%3Asports.yahoo%2Creuters%3A20050301%3Aoly%2Cphoto%2Cr3173300844%3A1