Monday, September 29, 2008

I'll Say It Again

I hope this finds everyone happy and healthy and recovering from a wonderful weekend. We were busy, busy, busy... and blessed. We had a few bumps - computer problems, homework issues, crayon on the walls, that kind of thing - and lots of blessings - wonderful worship at church, a fantastic party with my unspecified business endeavor, great family time.

One of this weekend's highlights was surely visiting RMNP to see all the elk. Okay, we really didn't see *all* the elk, but we saw a lot! This time of year the elk come down into the foothills and meadows for their rut. Last year we went to Estes Park for the Elk Fest, but schedules didn't permit it this year so we went this weekend (Elk Fest is next). We didn't see any elk in town like last year, but we saw somewhere between 50 and 100 wapiti just inside the park. It was beautiful. We grabbed some KFC and stopped at Sheeps Creek to picnic and watch these beautiful creatures and listen to them bugle. It's one of my favorite things about living here.

And Grace can say "elk" this year, too. Last year it sounded enough like "milk" that she always added the m sound to it. :: Sigh :: Growing up...

But while we are very blessed, I am frequently hearing stories of people we know who are going through some really tough times. I blogged recently about the loss of Jacob, a former student of Deb's and a friend. Sadly, I have some other news to report, some of which I also shared over on my prayer blog ~ please keep these people in your prayers:
  • Another former student of Deb's was struck by a car and killed in Northridge last week. That's the third former student she's lost in about the last 6 or 8 weeks.
  • A friend of ours, Michelle, has found a lump in her breast and will begin the appropriate testing and treatment for that in the coming days.
  • A pharmacist we used to work with in CA, Tran, just lost his 19yo son in a bicycle accident. Tran himself is dealing with colon cancer.
  • A woman I met this weekend - about my age - lost her 39yo husband in June. He simply didn't wake up one morning. She has an infant to raise now who will never know her father.

So what's the point in sharing all of this with you, my friends? Why take the sad things that I've learned about and pass them on, turning this blog on a somber note? My reasons are two-fold. The first, of course, is that I beg those of you who are believers in Christ to lift these people up in your prayers. Our brothers and sisters need our prayers, and the unbelieving in that group of hurting people need peace and healing - and Christ.

But the more important reason is this, and I realize that I run the risk of sounding preachy, especially since I just preached to you a couple of weeks ago. But here it is:

Every day is a gift. You do not know, whether you are 35 or 85, if you will even wake up in the morning or make it home today. Life is short. But more importantly, this life is not all there is! Don't procrastinate - stop today for a moment and make sure that your relationship with God the Father is exactly how it should be. Don't put Him on the back burner any more. If you've wandered away a little bit - we all do - come back now. He is right there waiting for you.

I wouldn't say it if I didn't care, if I didn't love you - all of you. But as much as I do, God loves you WAY more than I ever could. Think about that today, how much He loves you, and what that means, what He gave for you. Make the most of every opportunity ~ and make sure He is the most important thing in your life.

<><

3 comments:

Memaw said...

After each phone call I got from Deb telling me yet another student is dead the song from Casting Crowns came to my heart . . . I will praise you in the storm . . . You are who you are . . . and though my heart is torn . . . I will praise you in the storm. I encourage anyone who doesn't have a relationship with Christ to get on your knees and do so. Through all the loss we deal with deep down there is a peace knowing there is something better waiting for us . . . something no one can ever take away from us . . . Amen?

Christi said...

This has been a lot of deaths.
The only thing we can do is to pray and hope they had a good relationship with Jesus.

Anonymous said...

Go. Tell them. Tell them all. He reigns.