Here is something I don't like about myself:
I procrastinate. Even with things I like to do, I procrastinate. And oftentimes, the longer I procrastinate, the bigger the task becomes. And then - it becomes overwhelming. And then - I feel defeated before I even start.
Am I alone in this, or is there someone out there who does this, too?
So my director in my unspecified business endeavor sends me some motivational goodies from time to time and yesterday she sent me the following story. I thought it started out cheesy but when it got to the point, I realized it was great advice:
There's an old saying that says..."If the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning is eat a live frog, then nothing worse can happen for the rest of the day!" Well, I don't know about you, but I think that's a pretty safe assumption.
Brian Tracy, in his book Eat That Frog! says that your "frog" should be the most difficult item on your things to do list, the one where you're most likely to procrastinate; because, if you eat that first, it'll give you energy and momentum for the rest of the day. But, if you don't...and let him sit there on the plate and stare at you while you do a hundred unimportant things, it can drain your energy and you won't even know it.
So, here's your assignment: for the next 30 days take a look at your list, circle the frog, and eat that first.
You'll thank us for it.
Enjoy an excerpt from Eat That Frog! And don't forget to share it with friends and co-workers.
To Life,
Mac AndersonFounder, Simple Truths
I like the advice so much that I think I'm going to add it to my task list in my homemade planner. Speaking of which, I'm planning to upload my planner to Office Depot, have them copy it 52 times (maybe with some extras), spiral-bind it, and add a cover. I still haven't found a commercial one that works for me... so that's what I'm thinking. It's December 1st and I'm going to start being consumed soon with potential new calendars so I have to act soon. :)
December. Already! Crazy. Thus begins the frenzy of the Christmas season. Perhaps it began last week for some of you. It saddens me - the hustle and rush of materialism. Yet, it excites me, too. Even the materialism... although we have decided to reduce our spending this year, still... one of the best days of the year as a parent is seeing your children's excitement and delight on Christmas morning. And one of the biggest challenges, especially in our culture, is to not let the real reason of Christmas get lost in all the hustle and excitement and ribbons and bows. I think it takes a conscious effort to make sure Christ is at the center of our Christmas celebrations.
Musings aside... I hope you all had a blessed Thanksgiving. Happy Monday - and Happy December.
xoxo
Monday, December 01, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
I too am a procrastinator! I have found that if you get the hardest thing done first it does make the rest of the day easier. So eating the frog seems right on! Well, I have to get somethings done that I have been putting off...Let's eat that frog together!
Post a Comment