Friday, December 12, 2008

My Pensieve

My font button has disappeared.


I really like Blogger for the most part, but I am a lover of fonts and Blogger does not give many choices on this front. Today, in fact, it gives none.


But anyway, I'm back. I've been busyoverwhelmedtiredhavingabadweek, but now I'm back. Thanks again for missing me.


So, beginning in Goblet of Fire, a beautiful, magical object is introduced to Mr. Harry Potter. It is my favorite magical thing that the talented JK Rowling created, I think, because I wish I had one: The Pensieve. To be able to take all those jumbled thoughts in your head and put them in a bowl so that you could sort them out a little bit and make more sense of them... ah. In a sense, this poor blog has become such for me - a Pensieve.


Thanks for bearing with me.


Let's see - I'll start today with Christmas music. I try to turn it on as soon as Thanksgiving is over (I cannot really start Christmas until after Thanksgiving, despite what all the retailers would like me to do.) because we get to listen to it for such a short time. In fact, my local WalMart has stopped playing music altogether over the loudspeaker. It sure makes for depressing shopping. I would bring my own music but then I have kids usually with me to try to listen to as well. Anyway, I digress... (are you surprised?)


I was listening to the lyrics the other day for "It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year." Have you really heard them? I had to give pause to this part:


There'll be scary ghost stories and
tales of the glories of Christmases long, long ago...

Hmmm... Is that a tradition in your house? 'Cause I'm picturing sitting around the tree or fireplace with cocoa and jammies and telling ghost stories? Hmmm...


Next: My children. Do you ever feel... a little... disconnected... from your kids? Maybe you don't have kids, but you still might know what I mean... like you wake up one morning and look at that loved one and think to yourself, are we in the same galaxy?


I don't know why my daughter plastered a big red L on her bedroom door.




Granted it's plaid but I don't really get it. That was my oldest daughter, of course, by the way.


Then as I walked away and came to J's door and found these three signs:



Hmmm.
Believe me, I do blame myself.

Finally, the last thing swirling around in my brain for attention... I am completely not ready yet for Christmas. Our decorations out include about 3 feet of lighting on the porch. I finally bought cards last night - but we ran out of time for the picture-type cards I'd been sending the past few years. I haven't done any shopping, baking, etc. I'm behind on my life and it's overwhelming!!! Anyone have some extra free time they could send my way? I would appreciate it.

It's a strange time in my life right now. God is showing me things about Himself (and about myself, unfortunately) that I feel like I need to dig into more deeply... and yet... I am hustling and bustling to just get through the day. I haven't eaten ANY frogs this week, done very many chores (trying to do the bare minimum - dishes and laundry), and I'm behind on projects that should have been completed many weeks ago.

But... despite the stress, I am blessed.

(Did you ever notice that stressed spelled backward is one of my favorite words?)

How about you? Are you all ready for Christmas?

xoxo

4 comments:

Beth said...

How pathetic is this, to post the first comment to my own post? But I just had to add that today I am looking at Blogger and wondering if we're in the same galaxy. It obviously doesn't understand my needs for not only font control but also uniform spacing. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

I am almost done shopping but way behind in other things this year. Usually by the first week of December I have everything wrapped, my cards done and mailed and a few gifts left to buy. This year since I am not buyng much the only thing I mangaged to stay on task with is the shopping!

Memaw said...

Pop has pleanty of time . . . do you want me to send him up early?

Christi said...

Thank you for posting a picture of my creative door on your blog. I do not, however, appreciate the fact that you made fun of it. Therefore I am meanified and maddified, understand?!
Poll: I say both, depending on who I'm talking to. Like Montana is Jewish, so she doesn't celebrate Christmas.