Sunday, May 11, 2008

It Hailed Like Dippin' Dots

Well, my peeps made it; in fact they've already come and gone.

Mom and Deb arrived on Friday and we had a great weekend. We went to a softball game, shopped, played, ate, hung out, rested, and more. The only bummer was how short it was. But still I'm thrilled and blessed that they came to spend time with us.

On Saturday we decided to take the kids to the Denver Zoo for their birthday. It was a great zoo and we had a great time (mostly). You'd think almost-mid-May would be a great time to go to the zoo, and it could have been... if it didn't end up hailing like Dippin' Dots.

It started out breezy enough, but we were comfortable in sweatshirts. We knew there was a small chance of rain, and we were prepared with an umbrella. Well, sure enough, the clouds came in and it began to sprinkle. It sprinkled for about 5 minutes, and then this began to fall from the sky and land on our heads:

I swear, if it were colored, it would have looked just like the Dippin' Dots the kids had just finished eating.

I won't go into all the details about all the funny stories that are related to the hail, like the one where one of my peeps gave me the funniest evil look ever when I suggested we stop and take pictures of the Dippin' Dot hail, or what that same peep might have said when she was headed for cover and I called her back to see this:

(Oh my gosh these goslings were just darling... and I have to say it was so wonderful to see baby birds alive and well and thriving... you know... after the last baby birds I saw.)

But suffice it to say the hail didn't last terribly long and we were still able to be entertained by more animals before we headed to the gift shop, the car, and, eventually, a wonderful lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe.

Today... Mother's Day... no hail... no cold... beautiful 78 degrees.

~~~~~
On Wildlife:

I just have to say this... Sometimes I feel like I get cheated. I mean, yes, I've been able to see some wonderful things since we've moved here - elk, bighorn sheep, prairie dogs, and more... but so often we'll be driving around and someone will inevitably say, "Look! There's a ...!" and I'll look but I can't see the darn thing to save my life.

Last Sunday, on Ro's birthday, I took the chauffer duties and drove us to church. Down one street Ro spotted a fox. And then we turned down another - and he saw three more - baby foxes! Deb had seen a fox when she was out here a few months back, but have I ever seen a fox? Noooooo...

Well today has been a successful day for me in terms of wildlife viewing. On the way home from church, Ro again spotted a fox, and even turned around and went back so the rest of us could see it. It was awesome - it ran across a field toward our car, stopped about 10 or 12 feet from us, and ran on. It was beautiful - small, red, bushy tail - with a limp prairie dog hanging out of his mouth.

Later I saw a dead skunk on the side of the road.

But the highlight really was late in the day when Christianne said she saw some deer. She said it so nonchalant - like, we live in Colorado so of course I saw deer in the middle of our town - so I turned around and went back. And sure enough - there were deer. A lot of deer! Beautiful, relaxed, hangin' out, alive, and not disturbing the prairie dogs. There were at least ten of them, a very cool sight to see.

~~~~~
Well it's been a wonderful but busy weekend, and I'm sure exhausted. I hope all of you moms out there had a very blessed Mother's Day. I was so blessed to both love on my mom and be honored as one as well. A good day, absolutely perfect. :)

No comments: