Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Random Thoughts

Freedom isn't free. I'd be curious to know how many of you know family and friends who are currently serving overseas. Would you post a comment with their first name so that we can keep them in our prayers? And if you know anyone who has died for our country - well, I am grateful for their sacrifice.

~~~~~
I hate spoilers. HATE them. It has actually become an issue in our house because of where everyone has been in the saga of Harry Potter (see sidebar, right). But since I've finished with Mr. P and moved on to another book, I thought I didn't have to worry about it anymore.

So I'm reading said book (Same Kind of Different as Me) last night. It's one of those nonfiction books where halfway through there are about 6 or 8 pages of photographs from the lives of the people that the story is about. I get to the end of the chapter and have now reached the photographs. I begin to look at them - but quickly realize that if I look at them too closely it will spoil the story that continues just after the photographs. So, in a rare moment of wonderful self-discipline, I turn the pages until I get to where the story continues.

On the left page is the final page of photographs. On the right page is the start of the next chapter. The largest picture on the left page was a - wait, I won't spoil it for you - even though it got ruined for me!!! It was a picture that completely spoiled what was coming in the story! It was probably the biggest spoiler of them all!!! You might think I'm overreacting, but I'm telling you, it really irked me. I put the book down for the rest of the night.

So. If you read this book... and you do not like spoilers... have your loved one tear out the photographs for you or otherwise cover them up until the end. (How hard would it have been anyway, for the publishers to put them at the end to begin with? Sheesh!)

~~~~~
Well, we'd planned to enjoy our day off yesterday with a picnic to a park near the river, hoping to see some deer and such and maybe find a geocache or two, but it rained pretty much the whole day. I love rain, so I'm not complaining. We hung out at home instead, taking in National Treasure 2, reading, and playing games. It was a nice, low-key, relaxing day.

We put the kids to bed and settled in ourselves to read a little bit (you know, with that book that I'm so mad at right now). A few minutes before 10, Ro closed his book and then his eyes as I continued to read. Just then we got one of the brightest flashes of lightning I'd ever seen. Even Ro "saw" it with his eyes closed. And then, just as I said, "Did you see that?!?" a roar of thunder bellowed, and it literally shook the house. I've never heard thunder like that. It was so cool! Christianne came running in and she saw it and felt it, too. It was crazy. Crazy cool. :)

However, as much as I like rain, Chris is supposed to be going to the Rocky Mountain National Park today for a field trip, and it doesn't look like the greatest weather for it. When I checked the forecast yesterday it said it would be in the low 30s with scattered thunderstorms! Ugh. I hope they still have a great time and I'm praying the weather will clear up soon for them.

~~~~~
This is the last week of school here. It's Why Bother Week, if you ask me. LOL Chris turned in most of her books last week, has a field trip today, short day tomorrow, regular day Thursday, and Friday attends for only 3 hours! Josh has a regular day today, party and short day tomorrow, field trip and party on Thursday, and goes on Friday for his 3 hours. Sounds like they'll have a lot of fun this week, though. :) I'm going to try to make some goodies as thank-yous for the teachers and help out with J's party tomorrow, too.

And then... when school's out... they don't know this... but we're going to CLEAN OUT THEIR ROOMS before we go to California! :) Yippee!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought and read that book over a year ago. Only one picture and it was on the last page. They also have a web site that gives alot more information. How did you like it? I started and couldn't put it down for the next four hours until it was finished.

Mark

Beth said...

I haven't finished it yet - got mad at it with the picture fiasco. :) I'll probably read more today though and should finish it soon. I'll let you know!

Beth said...

All right, I stayed up last night and finished the book. :) How did I like it? Wellll... the story itself was moving and wonderful. I learned a lot from it, actually. My eyes were opened to how impoverished people lived - and probably still do - in certain parts of America, and I loved the example of true service and unconditional love on the part of Miss Debbie. That said, I think its theology is somewhat faulty. :( Overall, though, a pretty good read - very well-written and an amazing story. Thanks for recommending it.

Beth said...

And by the way, the only person I know currently serving overseas is Andrew. Please keep him in your prayers. :)

Anonymous said...

mw nephew, matthew is heading out at the end of the month for his first (and hopefully only) tour in the mid-east. prayers for him will be appreciated.

geo