I met Robert on May 1, 1989, when I began working at Plaza Pharmacy. He'd already been working there for some time, and actually, I would have worked there even sooner had he not convinced the supervisor to hire his sister for my position instead. She didn't like it much and left after 2 weeks, and then I started in her place.
It was an interesting period in my life. I was really struggling at work, struggling to "get" it. The pharmacy was much, much faster paced than what I'd come from. Eventually I was told to sink or swim, and swim I did. But that's another story for another day. I have lots of stories of Plaza to tell.
Robert and I did not hook up (I think that's the current term) until September, though. I believe he kissed me for the first time on my birthday, in fact. We've been together now almost 19 years. Half my life! That's crazy!
We didn't really "date" much, in the formal sense, but we were always together. We worked together (and well, actually), and hung out together. On one of those times when we did go out, we went to the Palmdale Drive-in.
My parents had taken us to the drive-in a few times when we were kids. I remember Mom popping a ton of popcorn and then piling into the car with blankets and pillows to enjoy the show. As long as I can remember, there was one other option in Palmdale - the Palace Theater, what we then called a walk-in. Pop took us there once, to see The Wilderness Family or something like it, and it sticks in my head because sensible Pop didn't want me to bring anything. I insisted on bringing my purse, and sure enough, I left it there. It was a totally 70's dark brown suede bag, and another time I left it out in the rain. It's strange, the things that stay in your memory.
Yes, I just admitted I was a child in the 70's. Ahem.
As we got a little bit older our parents would drop us off at the walk-in and pick us up later. I have another one of those strange stand-out memories when I wore too-small, too-tight bright green shorts and we saw a double feature - Roller Boogie and Sphinx. Maybe some other reader of this blog could comment - I think I remember rumors having something to do with Judy Garland and the Palace Theater (before my time!) as well...?
As I grew up and became a teenager living in the AV, other "walk-in" theaters began to spring up. Before long Cinemark had taken over the valley with a number of theaters in Palmdale and Lancaster and the old Palace Theater was no more. Nobody I knew ever went to the drive-in; it lacked the luster and sophistication of the newer theaters.
Zoom forward to the fall of 1989. Robert and I had hooked up, remember, and went to the old Palmdale Drive-In for one of its final showings. We saw the first Batman. Man, I loved that movie. I must have because for a long time afterward some of our co-workers would call me Batman. Or maybe Robert. I don't remember now.
Sadly, the old drive-in closed shortly thereafter, in January of 1990. Actually, I don't think I was really sad at the time... the newer, more flashy theaters met our movie needs nicely. I guess I didn't realize what an era that was until more recently.
Well, guess what? We have a drive-in theater here. So last night after dinner we packed the kids into the car, popped popcorn and packed drinks, threw in some lawn chairs, blankets, and pillows, and headed for the drive-in. The kids, of course, have never been to one. And it was something I think everyone should experience! We got there early and set ourselves up, backing in and letting the kids have the back of the car while we adults sat outside on lawn chairs. We sat and hung out until it was dark enough to begin the show.
We watched others come in and set up, get out and walk across the rocky dirt to the po-dunk snack bar at the back of the lot. Adjusted our speaker in the window (although we also listened to it on FM radio!). Watched people get out and have a good time until it was time to start - some kids on bikes, adults playing catch, a toddler with a soccer ball. Grace ran up and down the little hills to the front where the screen is... several times, in her best Sunday shoes.
Great family entertainment.
(Cheaper too, and you know I'm cheap. Double feature for about what you'd pay at the other theaters, maybe less, for one movie - and you can bring in your own food. Can't beat that.)
Unfortunately, I forgot the camera. :(
And the bug spray.
(I'm learning that we need bug spray in Colorado. That's twice now we've dealt with that. I'm a slow learner.)
The movie was all right. I didn't get to watch a lot of it, with a wiggly and overtired toddler on my lap. The kids seemed to enjoy it well enough - Josh laughed out loud a number of times actually. Since dusk didn't hit until 9, we only made it through the first movie. By 11 we were all worn out, but I'm looking forward to doing the full-on double-feature thing another time.
The kids enjoyed the whole drive-in experience, too. It was a perfect night, weatherwise, and we enjoyed being together as a family. To come full circle... fun. I'm glad we're here. I'm glad we had the opportunity to do this with our kids.
~~~~~
While I was surfing the web today, I came across a cool video on YouTube, especially if you were in the AV about 20 years ago. This video was shot just shortly before I began working at the pharmacy in the shot. I worked there a little while before I went to work at Plaza. I'd go down to Woolworth's often for lunch, and the Music Doctor eventually moved next to the pharmacy. Kathy and I spent a lot of time just hanging out there.
~~~~~
On another note, God has indeed answered another prayer, although not in the way we'd kind of been hoping. Robert didn't get the job he was up for. God knows what's best for us, and He can see around the corners... so, although we're disappointed, we know it's okay. Thanks for praying.
Thursday, July 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
what a trip down memory lane! they took our drive in away here about 15 years ago. i miss it. at least we got a chance to take the kids. one summer, i believe all the d-grandkids (little ones) saw the Flintstone Movie and THe Lion King at least 4 times one summer ~ all at the drive in. What a hoot.
and then there was a summertime at the drive in...with new friends from a new school in a new town....and a new "bouncer" who would flash the light inside the cars with fogging windows (muggy minnesota)...my dad.
i dont believe i told them...i was soooo embarrassed.
palmdale 20 years ago....try...40. geeez i can't believe i said that. we arrived "on the scene" 40 years ago 41 actually hmmph geez
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judy_Garland#Childhood_and_early_life
and
http://www.freewebs.com/judygarlandrules/judystour.htm
yup....2nd one has pics
g
I'd always heard that Judy Garland's parents owned a theater in Lancaster and that Judy would sing there on stage before matinees
Post a Comment