I hope you all had a safe and wonderful holiday yesterday. I had intended to post, but the day got away from us and the festivities went on much later than anticipated! It was wonderful yesterday to celebrate the many freedoms we have as Americans. It's even better when you can also celebrate the freedom Christ gives when you know Him!
Much of our day was spent just hanging out, enjoying the warmth of summer and being together. We bought fireworks, went to WalMart, and watched Twister. Josh went to a birthday party for awhile, and we did the traditional barbecue and made ice cream. We ate out in the backyard, throwing the kids on a blanket while we adults sat at a card table. (I'm excited about the someday when I'll have some sort of deck or slab and some real backyard furniture.) Missed Deb though, and Pop.
After awhile we walked down to the lake with our neighbors (and, apparently, most of the rest of the people in town) to watch fireworks. I wasn't very prepared. LOL Jess brought blankets, chairs, snacks, bug spray, glow sticks for the kids... I brought... um... the kids. LOL OK I'll know better for next time, right? We enjoyed the show and walked back home (about 2 1/2 miles round trip - my kids have sure gotten their exercise this week!). I was surprised to find that it was already 10:30, and we hadn't even begun our own fireworks yet. We're usually done and inside by that time. We met our neighbors again and set to work with our own show. Everyone had a great time, and Grace just plugged right along. She really seemed to enjoy the shows and was chipper as could be up until we tucked her into bed just before midnight. Chris and Josh showed off some fireworks we haven't seen before - some kind of chicken and an awesome one (I have to admit) called Dragon Farts. We had a fun day and a great evening.
~~~~~
There's so much else I've been meaning to post. Both C and J have been riding their bikes quite a bit. On a ride at the beginning of the week, J finally figured out how to start himself, and ever since he's been on the go. He's been asking to ride, going on long rides with the neighbor family, and riding all over the neighborhood himself. It's quite a change considering how our bicycle endeavors began last summer. If you've been reading that long, you may recall it - right now I can't find the old post(s) to link to. It sure brings a smile to my face to hear him ask if he can ride or look disappointed when he can't. Finally!
About a year ago Christianne got a book on Colorado wildflowers. She took it on our trip to Cali and identified a couple for us. She is really into it and does a great job teaching us about different kinds. She identified a few on our caching trip last Monday and told us about them. Incidentally, at the same time Josh received a book on Colorado wildlife identification through their scat and tracks. He hasn't educated us quite as much as Christianne. :)
Anyway the other day we were sitting out front, and something caught C's eye. Among our bushes of purple flowers, she found one single red flower, tall and really, really pretty. She recognized it almost immediately from her book - a wood lily - and the book said that it's very rare and should never be picked. The flower is identical to the picture and description in the book. Isn't that the coolest?
She blogged about it a little bit. By the way, if you're interested in access to the kidlets' blogs, let me know and I'll send you an e-mail. I've forgotten now who asked that I forgot to e-mail. They post only here and there but they love to have readers and feedback. I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!



No comments:
Post a Comment