Monday, July 28, 2008

A Tale to Start Your Monday

The other day... Thursday... after swim lessons, we had some time to kill before we headed out for the kids' various doctor appointments, so we stopped over to the library for about 45 minutes.

I love our library. It's perfect. They are talking about - well, I guess they're doing more than talking - planning - a big expansion in the short-term future, and that kind of makes me sad. I love it the way it is. It's one of my favorite places here.

But as per usual, I digress.

Chris was off on her own in the library, searching for the perfect novels. Josh was nearby, looking in the hardback section under one of his favorite authors. Grace was in the stroller, and my cell phone rang.

Since you can't have cell phones on in the library, I quickly delegated Grace to Josh and went out front to take the call. I don't think I was on much more than 5 minutes, maybe 10.

When I came back, Josh was a the train table, playing. Which is fine. Grace was out of her stroller, also at the train table, also fine. But then what did I see? While Josh was playing happily with the trains he was not watching Miss Grace. (Or maybe he was and didn't care.) I saw Miss Grace with her left hand holding trains and playing, standing at a slight angle to the table, and her other arm, well, she was HOLDING OFF TWO SMALL CHILDREN WITH HER CAST.

Proud moment for me, you know.

So I told her to be nice, and a minute or two later the other children's mommy told them, "You can go play." I think the mommy was oblivous to the bully amongst them. Both little ones looked at Grace with wide eyes and silently shook their heads no.

:: sigh ::

Off to lessons... have a good week.

No comments: