I've stepped out of my comfort zone some this week. It was a challenge in some ways, but I did it. And it was well worth it today.
A few weeks back our pastor was preaching about sharing our faith, and how that comes naturally out of getting to know people, investing in them, and building relationships. We've been here almost a year already (can you believe that?) and we really still don't know a lot of people. I'd say I know the three neighbor families near us fairly well - not great, but well enough to consider them friends, and a handful of people in our church. It's really hard to move so far away and start from scratch. You really take for granted how many people you know and love when you've lived in an area for years and years.
Anyway, the pastor went on to offer a plethora (Deb's word) of ideas for us to get to know people, and I thought a couple of them sounded great. So I got together with my neighbor and we organized a neighborhood ice cream social to get to know a few other of our neighbors a little bit better.
I stepped out of my comfort zone and went to a couple of neighbors I hadn't even met, introduced ourselves, and invited them to the party. The neighbors we did know each invited a few, too, so we covered a good chunk of our part of the neighborhood.
It was wonderful. John was able to get a bounce house, popcorn maker, and tables from his church. We provided ice cream and some other goodies, and everyone else brought toppings. We put out the Slip N Slide (no, I didn't participate this time), and the kids all had a great time. What kid wouldn't, with a bounce house, water slide, and root beer floats and ice cream sundaes? Grace bounced along with the big kids and we put a bag over her arm for the water fun. All the kids cooperated and looked after each other.
But the best part was really getting to know some new neighbors. There are two couples across from us who stayed for most of the party and we got to chat quite a bit. I am sooo glad we got to meet them and hang out. And there were others from around the corner who came that we got to meet as well. And a girl C's age also came out and the two girls hung out for quite awhile.
I love our neighborhood. I love our neighbors. I'm delighted to be blessed to live amongst such a great group of people. I'm delighted to live where neighbors actually develop relationships and become good friends.
We expected the party to last until about dinnertime, but would you believe it didn't really break up until almost 10? Isn't that awesome? Of course my kids basically ate ice cream and popcorn for dinner, but no big deal. It was great to be able to connect to some new people.
I hope ya'll are enjoying a beautiful weekend.
Saturday, July 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment